Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New Dobro

Traded my '80 round neck Dobro for an '84 square neck tonight. Guess I’m a real bluegrasser now.

Alright! Is the tone much different?

Congrats Larry! You are just about a one man band aren’t ya? I have a banjo and mandolin that I can’t find the time to play/learn. Sucking at guitar takes up all my time. :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from "TNTaylor414"

Sucking at guitar takes up all my time. :slight_smile:

— End quote

That’s the quote of the week… I am right there with you buddy!

After attempting a Clarence White impression in a jam the other night my banjo playing buddy jokingly told me , "I use to wish I could play the guitar, now I wish you could! I tell ya, I just don’t get no respect…

What kind of square neck did you buy Larry?

— Begin quote from ____

What kind of square neck did you buy Larry?

— End quote

I traded my 1980 model 66 round neck Dobro (it’s the model with the sandblasted pattern on the body) straight up for a 1984 model 60 square neck Dobro. Some of the chrome is peeling off the tailpiece so I ordered a replacement for it, but other than that, it’s in pretty good shape. Still had the warranty paperwork with it. The guy said it had been stored under his bed for most of the time he owned it.

— Begin quote from ____

Alright! Is the tone much different?

— End quote

I took the resonator out, cleaned everything, restrung it with the same kind of strings I had on my old Dobro and gave it a good test drive at a jam last night. The biggest difference I notice is in volume. The square neck is considerably louder. I suspect that is due, at least in part, to not having to use a nut extender. It gave me a little trouble with intonation at first because the parallax is different, but I was able to adjust to it after a while.

— Begin quote from ____

After attempting a Clarence White impression in a jam the other night my banjo playing buddy jokingly told me , "I use to wish I could play the guitar, now I wish you could! I tell ya, I just don’t get no respect…

— End quote

Ha Ha! I’m stealing that one liner.

— Begin quote from ____

Congrats Larry! You are just about a one man band aren’t ya? I have a banjo and mandolin that I can’t find the time to play/learn.

— End quote

I’ve pretty much put the mandolin away and just practice dobro and guitar now. I usually only put in a couple of hours a week on the dobro, but I’ve noticed that people are generally more impressed with simple dobro breaks than they are with intricate guitar work. I guess it must be because so many people play guitar.