Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass Original & Exclusive Song?

I’m back in action Mike.

Thanks by the way.

Welcome back to the forums!

I’ll try to get a video of the song from the memorial. If I get it, I’ll post a link here on the forum.

Here’s a video from the memorial. I didn’t do Jesse’s cool guitar melody. We had practiced that way, but for the memorial it felt right to just strip it down.

Thanks to Jesse and JW and everyone else who helped out with the song. It meant a great deal to the family.
[video]https://youtu.be/sef6PvACc60[/video]

Thanks for posting the video Mike.

I’m sure people were blessed by this. Sounded really good, I love the backup singing.

I have to come up with a song for special music in church next month, I may do a version of this.

I’m glad you were able to contact Jesse… and it’s great to have you back on here Jesse.

It still needs a name. :question:

That was pretty special Mike. You settled into it nicely. That harmony singing behind you is pretty special.

As far as a “name”:

I am pretty stumped in that area, so if you have something you see fit that would reflect upon your friend then I am all ears.

I’m all for digging this thing back up and working on it some, working out a nice smooth guitar break and getting you and your wife to do some singing! (Hint hint wink wink).

JW I am glad to be back. I’ve lurked here about every month or so but was not able to post for some reason. Finally after a few emails back and forth with Ben he figured it out. Sp it’s good to be back, Maybe we can livin’ up this place moving forward.

In closing:

It makes me feel good knowing that you performed something that I kind of started Mike. I’ll sleep well tonight and I am glad that the family appreciated you singing and performing something that I was a part of.

Thanks for the kind words. I was honored to be a part of the memorial service and I thank you all for being a critical part of making it happen.

JW, I think you ought to do the song next month. I could send Carolyn and Pam up there :wink:

On another note:

I really need to start checking my posts. I type fast, never proofread and I am supposed to be wearing glasses. Hate to say it, but it really sucks getting old. Glad I see the guitar fret-board in my head because I probably couldn’t see the frets if I looked. :laughing:

I can see the text here clearly at about 3ft. Problem is however that I can’t reach the keyboard to type from that far away. It’s official, those trifocals that were prescribed 3 years ago are going to see some use.

So, please excuse my sloppiness in my posts until I can find those glasses. And if you guys want to send me something for Christmas then may I suggest a deck of those large face playing cards?

Really great job on the song Mike. I sincerely enjoyed listening. That is my kind of music.

Thanks!

It sounds like a collaborative might get fired up on this before too long. I look forward to it.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

JW, I think you ought to do the song next month. I could send Carolyn and Pam up there

— End quote

That would be great!

:bulb:: You should come with them and then I wouldn’t even have to sing, I could just play backup and maybe a lead break.

— Begin quote from "jwpropane"

:bulb:: You should come with them and then I wouldn’t even have to sing, I could just play backup and maybe a lead break.

— End quote

Nope, you aren’t getting off that easy and dumping the singing on me :smiley: Now, if we could get Larry to show up as well, I think his big voice would sound great on this song. That wouldn’t leave much for me to do, but that’s ok. I could cheerlead or play bass if there is one up there.

Wow, I almost missed this. That was outstanding Mike! Your wife sounded great too!

Thanks Jim! I’ll pass that along to my wife.

A forum conversation on some of our favorite players reminded me of this song…
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3EdhGezLs[/video]
I love the combination of “happy music/somber lyrics”. I am thinking “What will we see” (for lack of another title) could be done with a similar tempo and feel. I played with it and I kind of like it. With that said, I like the slower version for the setting of a memorial (I am pretty sure I dragged it down slower than we had played it before).

Mike,

I have not yet but I intend to work on this song some and work out a nice lead break. I may start revisiting later today/this evening once my company beds down for the evening.

If you get a chance/want to throw up a sample of the tempo, then that will help me a lot in my exploration when I get the chance to work on it.

I am with you on somber lyrics with a happy go lucky type tempo. I like how bluegrass music is able to pull it off. It’s that “high and lonesome” singing with an up beat tempo. I am a big fan of songs like “Sunny Side of the Mountain” (Dan Tyminski), I am a Pilgrim (Byrds version) and a few of the similar type songs. The combination seems to scream “grass and lots of it”. There is something to be said about a song that if you only read the lyrics it’s sad. If you only hear the music one would think it’s a happy funny “hoe down” type song. Combine the two together and you end up with something pretty unique that works.

As mentioned, if you can give us a sample or even the BPM that would help me in working out something. I guess we should put together a list of lyrics also for reference. I know they are scattered all about this thread, but if anyone has any alternate/new/not seen, then let’s take a look and see what we’ve got.

I am pretty excited about putting this together. I plan on spending some time with it.

For the “newer” guys: It’s a group thing, no ego’s around here. If you want to add something then by all means toss it out there for us. It’s a great learning experience, kind of lights a flame under you and forces you to “learn something new” and if one is doing that then they are improving and learning. I know our past collaborations a few years back sure helped me advance.

Sure, I can put together a demo of a couple different feels and tempos. It won’t be this weekend as it will be pretty busy, but maybe next week. I want to do several feels at first to make sure we don’t get locked in on group think.

I have lyrics for 4 possible verses. I used three for the funeral. All were previously posted, but I can put them together with the chord sheet and post it.

That was great Mike! Really enjoyed that. That guitar was ringing…sounded good. Which guitar was that?

Good to see ya around again Jesse.

Thanks Shawn! That was the D18GE. There wasn’t a mic pointed at the guitar and the place was huge, so I was whacking it to get things to balance to my ear. I think the vocal mics picked it up surprisingly well, so I was over-playing it.

We had planned to do a sound check, but the mics didn’t get set up until about ten minutes prior to start and it didn’t seem right to be doing a sound check when there were a bunch of people already there. It was kind of weird to just hop up and start playing live without a clue how hot the mic was going to be. It took me a little bit to find where I thought I should be. Prior to the service I did do an instrumental Amazing Grace as people continued to arrive with my plug in guitar and the loudbox mini. The sound was pretty incredible in that big old church. Just a gorgeous place with great “big hall” acoustics.

Hey Shawn!

Good to see you are still around also. We need to drag up Larry, OZ, and Fiddlewood. You guys ever hear from any of them?

I sent Larry an email a month or so back. I was asking him if he had saved the ALTabs files as the site no longer exists and I lost them all in a computer crash. (Any of you save all those bluegrass Tef files from there?).

Anway, we passed back and forth an email or so. I guess he’s running sound for a bluegrass group. He sent me the pdf flyer for them and closest they are to me is the Atlanta area. If I’ve nothing going on I might just go.

Shawn I think I will be visiting the Knoxville area a bit in the future. My daughter will probably go there (UT). She was there all summer. She was picked as a “top 25” student in Tennessee (scored a 34 on her ACT at age 15) and she got an all expenses trip paid to stay at UT for 30 days to study engineering and mathematics. They have a biomedical engineering program that she likes and she is kind of set on UT or Vanderbilt, so if she goes to UT I am sure I’ll be over that way some and will have my guitar. She is still just a junior so it will be another year. We have her in MTSU right now taking physics and calc since her high school could not offer them…kind of odd having a kid that is a heck of a lot smarter than you!

— Begin quote from "oldhat"

…kind of odd having a kid that is a heck of a lot smarter than you!

— End quote

Well, most teenagers think they are smarter than their parents, so it’s nice to know some of them can walk the walk :smiley:
I like MTSU. They have a nice aviation program there. I’m not trying to be a pusher, but she’s old enough to get her license :wink: