Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Lost Highway

I threw the Dulcimer intro on there for funsies. The intro is all there is of the dulcimer, so don’t listen to the rest of the song trying to pick out the dulcimer parts. It will go away once we get Larry’s Dobro going.

kompoz.com/compose-collabora … kId=231627

I uploaded a dobro track to our project, but I may have to redo it. I didn’t notice until I was finished, but I had a fair amount of bleed-through from my headphones. Here’s the track laying in the mix: http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=231680&projectId=36682

I don’t think you should be taking your dulcimer out, Mike. We need more instrumentation. I wonder if a harmonica would work?

Whoo hooo! That’s awesome! I just listened to the mix thus far. Sounds good. If you do end up recording more, if you want to do something more prominent on the last chord, have at it.

It’s coming right along! It might be next week before I get anything else done on my end.

Yeah, I kind of glossed over the ending (actually I glossed over a few spots). I didn’t really have an ending worked out and I didn’t have any licks to fall back on, especially in this C6 tuning. It’s a lot easier to catch wrong notes tuned like this.

I’ll probably get around to re-recording in a few days. I’d like to try it with my SM57, anyway. That’s what I wound up using last time, if I remember correctly. The condensor mic picks up so much transient noise that I start playing timidly trying to be extra clean.

On the ending chord I thought you might be leaving room for someone else to do something to be polite or whatever. It’s fine the way it is, but I didn’t want you to feel limited. I listened again and it sounds really good Larry. I love all the “doodles” throughout the verse. It just makes the song.

I picked up a cheapie tube preamp tonight. I got it so I could try using a condenser mic with my amp (no phantom power) in a performance next week. I like what it does with the mic. It was too harsh for vocals before and it took the edge off nicely. I look forward to playing around with recording with it.

— Begin quote from ____

I thought you might be leaving room for someone else to do something to be polite or whatever

— End quote

Ha! I kind of feel like I bigfooted the whole song. In Hanks version, the fiddle does some of fills between the lyrics. If we can get another instrument to take that part you can drop out some of my dobro. In fact, you can splice and dice my tracks anytime you feel it’s needed. Just because I play a bunch of crap doesn’t mean we have to use it all. :smiley:

OK Larry - took you at your word and put up a vox track. It is a dry track.
It is a bit high for my range but I crawled up there :unamused: I also tried it with a bit of echo - about 0.1 sec delay and 0.2 decay and that sure helped the sound.

As always if you don’t like, don’t use it, only intended as a sub till a better voice comes along. But it was actually good experience for me to have to push the range a bit and still stay in tune, also gave me some practice at using the mike etc. There is bleedthrough between phrases at times from the audio track I was working to but easy to get rid of that.

Cool! Way to keep the project moving forward, oz! Once Mike drops you into the mix, I’ll go back and redo my dobro track.

Don’t know if Mike wants to stay with one break in the middle but I guess it’s easy enough to edit in an extra time around if anyone wants to demonstrate their instrumental brilliance :mrgreen:

I think we could use more instruments, too, but so far no one has stepped up. I’m sure you play more than bass, ozi, what instruments you got lying around?

Play a bit of mando, nothing great, but I might try some bits and pieces for during the vocals (to help cover up the worse bits). Will see if I have time this week.
BTW I just played the vox track against your dobro mix track and found the vox synch lags a tad. I moved it up a little (about 0.3 of a second) and it synchs MUCH better. I would upload that one to kompoz but don’t know how to delete the existing vox track and want to avoid confusion. Should I put up the new one or just leave it to Mike in the mixing?

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Don’t know if Mike wants to stay with one break in the middle

— End quote

It’s not up to me. :smiley: I didn’t pick the song, but as far as I am concerned, as many breaks as people want to do is great. We can split breaks too like Larry was talking about. It probably be tomorrow before I can do any mixing. I’m looking forward to putting Ozzie’s vocals on there. I tried doing a vocal track over the weekend for the first verse and never got anything I liked much. At some point I’ll try a new GTR track as well.

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Should I put up the new one or just leave it to Mike in the mixing?

— End quote

Whatever you want to do. Either way is fine. There is a delete button when I look at the tracks, but it may just be that way as I started the project. If you put up the new one, I can delete the old one.

Hi Mike - was just leaving when I noticed you were online. I’ve gone ahead and uploaded the resynch so if you can delete the previous would keep it simple. Maybe everyone’s attempts at vocals might have worked better in another key :laughing: Looks like I’m the only mug to stick his neck out so far :blush:
At least Larry’s dobro mix helped it sound a bit better…

I deleted the previous one. You stuck your neck out. I crawled back into my shell :slight_smile:

Just playing around with it (not recording) oddly enough, I felt better singing it up a smidge higher (like in E) when I was first playing around, but I wasn’t planning on doing the vocals, so I left it in D.

Thanks for getting a vocal track out there to keep the ball rolling.

kompoz.com/compose-collabora … kId=232423

I made a mix of everything submitted thus far. Nice job Ozzie! It’s still just rough mixing, but it’s coming along. I’ll need to tweak the various track volumes dynamically at some point, but other than the intro and phading phoesphus’s phake guitar, I haven’t done anything. On the phake guitar, the part fits nicely at parts. I am not sure how ya’ll feel about non-stringed stringed instruments, but I didn’t think we were at a point to start cutting, so I mixed it in as I thought sounded ok.

I might try throwing my VOX verse on for the first just to see how it sounds with different voices on different verses. Larry, would you be interested in taking another one of the verses? I figure Ozzie stuck his neck out, and I might as well stick my neck out with his. I feel so… naked when I record my singing. Is it just me? Maybe I ought to get dressed before I record. Anyway, Larry did you want to stick your neck out with Ozzie as well? I think you said you had a VOX track.

Sounds good except for the vox :open_mouth: Would you mind trying a bit of delay and decay (as I mentioned above) to the vox track and see how that sounds in the mix. Seemed a lot better when I did that to it but I wanted to give you a dry track rather than mess with it myself.

Hey Ozzie,
I gotta run out for a bit. I’ll work on it later on. I have a VOX stack I use on my vocals (reverb, delay, compressor). I tried it and the signal wasn’t strong enough for the way I had it configured (sounded really artificial as it would cut out totally below a certain threshold). I just threw a tube pre on your track for boost and that was it. I think it’s sounding pretty good for a dry mix. I try to keep things dry as long as I can, but I’ll be glad to try to get the processing the way you like.

It’s filling out nicely! I recorded a one-off vocal track the other day just so I would have some idea where dobro fills were needed, but it wasn’t too great. I’ll try try a verse tomorrow and see if I can get better results.

I broke a dobro string tonight and didn’t have a back-up. I ordered more, but it’ll be a few days before I can redo my dobro track.

— Begin quote from ____

I tried it and the signal wasn’t strong enough for the way I had it configured (sounded really artificial as it would cut out totally below a certain threshold)

— End quote

Is that a question of volume - ie does that mean I recorded it too softly? If so how much higher should the level be?