Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass Collaboration #3

Sounds good, glad to hear it helps with finished project. Interesting that I wasn’t sure how good the sound was when I listened to the track before I uploaded it. Didn’t seem to have that fullness of tone so maybe you have worked wonders!

Happy to be in the next one - like the idea of musos from 3 continents making music together :smiley: So as soon as you get a scratch track up with the tempo and feel you want I’ll try to get the bass track up, unless someone else wants it.

Nice bass track!

Thanks Mike - nothing fancy, just to let the lead players shine through!

By the way, I take back what I said about Big Rig Blues!
Although there is currently nothing on Larry’s Kompoz file for BRB, I just came across some tracks on my computer from Larry with guitar & vox that I must have downloaded a while ago. So I was sitting around waiting for something I already had :blush: (nothing wrong with my memory - but damn I hate getting old!).

It sounds good so I’ll work out a bass track and then see if there’s any interest in getting that one back up & happening.

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Thanks Mike - nothing fancy, just to let the lead players shine through!

— End quote

I filled in for a bass player last week who was out with surgery. Going over one of the songs, one of the guys asked if I could play the melody line up high during the outro. I said “That’s the first time anyone ever requested a bass solo from me, but it won’t be the first one I tried to stick one into a song” :smiley:

I stuck the last mix over on our netgrass page at Soundclick. Have a listen and move us up the charts!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12031829

Ozi, I removed my White Freightliner (Big Rig) Blues scratch track because it’s copyrighted and since we weren’t actively working on it, I didn’t see any need to leave it hanging out there. I still have it on my hard drive.

— Begin quote from ____

That’s the first time anyone ever requested a bass solo from me

— End quote

Never encourage a bass player!

I played around with lost highway a bit. If you go up tempo on it, it’s a pretty short tune. Anyone have thoughts on a feel they wanted for it?

Lost Highway is kind of slow. I wouldn’t mind juicing it up a bit. We could always fill it out with intrumental breaks or repeated verses. With harmony singing and a faster tempo, I think it could be 'grassed pretty easily.

Do you or Hugo want to engineer this project, MIke? My footprint is always too heavy because I’ve been playing engineer on all the previous ones.

I liked it relatively slow (I always wanted to go a little faster than the recording I listened to), but with heavier drive and but on the other hand I liked it pumped up in speed as well. Up tempo, it sounded a bit more generic. Hank did some songs brutally slow, which I think was a neat feature (Cold Cold Heart was sometimes just creeping). I think the slower speed with drive might be better if we can do enough to fill out the sound. The old recordings were pretty much Hank’s voice with some soft accompaniment. I was playing with doing it drop D with a D2 and such to make the sound richer. I dunno, there’s many ways we could go with it.

As far as engineering, I don’t mind doing it, but I typically won’t be as quick to turn things around as you have been. I keep expecting things to let up, but my year continues to be quite busy. Also, my tastes are probably a bit different than some, but you get what you pay for in my engineering :slight_smile: Hugo does a nice job with it too, so if he wants to do it, then that’s great.

Oh, and I’ll charge double what Larry charges.

If we go slow enough we might get into my dobro range. :smiley:

When I was saying up tempo, it was still slow for bluegrass. I am guessing I was somewhere between 185 and 190. Maybe we could make a few “feel” tracks to see what direction we wanna go with it?

185 bpm might not be fast for bluegrass, but it’s pretty fast for this song. Sounds like the original was less than 120 bpm.

Knock out a scratch track the way you’d like to do it, if you’ve got the time, Mike.

You got any ideas, Hugo? (What time is it in South Africa, anyway?)

— Begin quote from ____

My footprint is always too heavy because I’ve been playing engineer on all the previous ones.

— End quote

Yep, we wouldn’t want any dinosaurs stomping all over our music, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

— Begin quote from ____

Never encourage a bass player!

— End quote

I amazed you were invited to play melody - very few people realise that bass is actually a melody instrument - it is just playing a different melody to the lead players.

Re White Freightliner - does the copyright preclude us from doing it or does it just have to be acknowledged that it is under copyright? Or is it ok to collab on Kompoz as long as it is not then published on Soundclick?
Was thinking of using the fretless for a bit more drive - if I do a basstrack where should I stick it then? Where the sun don’t shine? :open_mouth:

The copyright thing is a gray area, I think. Both Soundclick and Kompoz have disclaimers about copyright infringement, but in my experience Soundclick doesn’t seem too concerned about policing their site. You can find bunches of cover songs there. I’m not sure about Kompoz, though. Everything I’ve seen there has been original or public domain material. I can’t imagine we’d have a problem with you uploading your bass track to the Big Rig Blues project, though (especially since there aren’t any other tracks associated with it).

Back from Larry’s neck of the woods (Florida) after playing golf for a week (nice weather you all provided me with last week Larry) and I guess I can contribute to anything that needs a guitar part if we don’t have any guitar takers.

Oldhat

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply!

It’s like 2pm here now, so its what like 7am on the East Coast of the states probably?

I’m more than happy to do a lil track to get a feel going and see what we really want to do. Also have no problem with Mike taking the engineering reigns on this one if he wants it. Only difference is, I don’t charge :wink: haha

Other thing, where do ya’ll need me to upload it to?

— Begin quote from ____

nice weather you all provided me with last week Larry

— End quote

It’s been ridiculously nice. We’ve needed neither heat nor air conditioning here at home for weeks, now. Makes for a tiny electric bill, too!

Glad you got the time zones figured out for us, Hugo.
We’ve been using Kompoz for our file swapping host. http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.music

You have to create an account to upload. I"m using the free account, but it limits you a little on uploadable file types; some of the guys have upgraded so they can work with lossless files.

Bump to a new thread for Lost Highway:
https://banjoebenclark.com/forum/t/netgrass-lost-highway/393/1

I am all for Hugo being the engineer if he has any desire. He does a good job. Besides, as it sits, I have 8 stereo tracks to play with. It’s plenty of room with ping ponging, but it’s nice to have a dedicated track for everything. No problem either way.

Here’s how I keep track of you blokes. Or at least I would if you were on the map - can’t find the greater metropolis of Cresson Tx , or Lake City Fl !
timeanddate.com/worldclock/r … sson+texas

Talking of weather, we had temps around the 100s last week and today down to the 60s and snow higher up in my area - it’s blowing a really cold wind off it.

Figured it was about time for Collab #3 to mutate to a new thread - good on yer Mike. Thanks for actually getting something down to kick it off. At least I bet there is no problem with copyright on Lots Highway :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe we could call the other project Blue Eyeliner :wink:

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Maybe we could call the other project Blue Eyeliner :wink:

— End quote

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: