Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass Collaboration #3

Figured we might as well take a roll call and start brainstorming for a new song.

I assume we’ll have most, or all, of our regular participants:
ldpayton
fiddlewood
oldhat
mriesz
ozicaveman

And, here’s the completed version of Netgrass Collaboration #2:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11847664

I’d like to do something with some push to it. So, here’s some ideas:

How Mountain Girls Can Love
Hold Whatcha Got
White Freightliner Blues

Or, we could do an instrumental.

I thought Tuesday’s Gone would be a good conversion. I just checked you tube and there is a sort of grassed version, but not what I was thinking. I’ll play with it and see if it will work. It may not be fast enough for you, but oh wait… hah! I had to scroll down a bit… oh yeah…
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGcFdn-5FCA[/video]
That’s what I had in mind :slight_smile:

Is 320 BPM up tempo enough for you?

Dang, they’re working hard! And it says it’s a practice session. They must do some high energy shows.

Yes they are, and they seem to have a bit of angst. I think there may have been a metal background for the guy singing lead.

Before I found the one I linked, I was playing with the conversion (I typed the original post over about 15 minutes while I was playing and searching). Once I found that one, I couldn’t remember the tempo I had going. Since I slept, I checked what tempo came naturally for me on it and landed somewhere around 230. They are really moving along. At the speed they did it, I would be like the second guitarist, just playing quarter notes. The banjo guy is kind of like, no sweat.

Of the songs you listed, the only one I am familiar with is White Freightliner Blues. I’ll check out the others today.

Hold what ya got would be a bit tough to get to sound right in my experience.

*White freight liner * is pretty energetic if done down the New Grass revival/Skaggs style, but has the same extended use of IV chord feeling as Rider.

There are tons of longs like* How Mountain Girls can Love* that I wouldn’t mind doing. This is traditional Bluegrass at its core and may be more recognizable to others and boost participation and playable in general. I think doing standards never hurts when working to get better at a genre of music.

As for instrumentals, there are a slew of those that could be fun also, but I would leave it up to the guys who are choosing this time. I know Jesse is enjoying working on and learning about harmonies, and Mike and Ozi both got involved in the singing on this last song also. :smiley:

— Begin quote from ____

they seem to have a bit of angst

— End quote

That’s the right word! I think he was mad at his guitar. 320 bpm with a banjo player’s 3 fingers only works out to 107 bpm/finger and still leaves 2 fingers for nose picking.

Fiddlewould, White Freightliner does have that strong IV chord feel. That’s why I thought of it after doing Rider. As far as doing standards, I still have bunches of 'em to learn, and they turn out to be the most valuable songs to know in a jam situation.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

320 bpm with a banjo player’s 3 fingers only works out to 107 bpm/finger and still leaves 2 fingers for nose picking.

— End quote

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well, WFLB is a good one, and is good to learn in a jam situation - I agree that it reminds me a lot of Rider in many ways…especially since you can split lead voices - I think we should pick ones where the lead vocals can be split to encourage others to participate. I do however think that we should rotate in who picks a song and it it is there “turn” s0-to-speak then if they want to pick a song where they sing lead all through it then that is fine also.

What we should consider when picking songs:

Public Domain: I think it is so much better to do a public domain or original.

BPMS - Lets keep it under 300 and more realistically lower than 240 - we are all learning and I think we will get more participation if we keep them “slower”.

We should consider a song that Ben has put up like “I am a Pilgrim”, “Arkansas Traveler” or such as that is what others have worked on and I am sure we will get more participation since they know the breaks + it would be good for Ben to show /use as a marketing tool to help the site of what it sounds like when “students” learn something from his lessons.

I think “shorter” lyrical /structured songs are best so that we can insert the proper breaks (that’s what we are here for - pickn’) and have it just go into the 4 min range.

That’s some ideas I think we should consider. Then there are “personal ones”. Personal ones in a sense of taste, I’ll admit I am not a fan of “hard line” traditional bluegrass - I think it gets offensive to the ear if you play to many of those things in a row. But instead like “hippiegrass” “newgrass”, etc from say 1965 on…but again I don’t consider “Fiddle Tunes” to be old bluegrass.

Just my take!

And since they were mentioned then we might as well post of video, of which I can say that if we choose this song then don’t expect a guitar break like this.

Man Pat and Sam are “loose” with there form aren’t they…goes against popular picking beliefs and “best” practices.

And what is the meaning of this song…I always took it as either a song about cocaine or trafficking in cocaine. :question:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AYl8VBfzH4[/video]

— Begin quote from ____

BPMS - Lets keep it under 300 and more realistically lower than 240 - we are all learning and I think we will get more participation if we keep them “slower”.

— End quote

I usually consider anything over 200 bpm fast for me. The video Mike posted is ridiculously fast. I couldn’t keep up.

Give yourself some credit Larry… If I remember correctly, I think you were playing 8 note triplets on YWEFM. At 155, if my math is right, that’s the same speed as playing 232.5 BPM eighth notes… That’s trucking right along.

With that said, I can’t play Tuesday’s gone like the vid I posted. It’s not even a goal for me at this point. I liked the song considerably slower.

I want to be the guy on bass doing about 80 bpm :wink:

For you guys that just can’t cut 300+ then take a look at this great tribute: I rather like the highway rolling feel of it.

Also looks like a similar bunch of old codgers to NG#3 except they have some purty ones :laughing:

Ozi, good find. That’s an incredible lineup. Kind of makes me want to dust off my old Guy Clark songs (even though he wasn’t featured). I like Emmylou and Nanci together.

BTW, if we’re doing 80 BPM, we’re expect 1/32 note bass runs :slight_smile:

VT does it quicker than the old codgers but not as fast as young Bela.
Good song to do with lots of space.

BTW, misunderstanding Mike - I like the idea of doing 80 of my long bpms on bass while y’all are doing 320 of your short bpms on the little instruments :mrgreen:

— Begin quote from ____

And what is the meaning of this song…I always took it as either a song about cocaine or trafficking in cocaine.

— End quote

and I may be just a clean livin’ country boy, but I only read it as just a yearning to pick up and hit the road, like those big old longhaulers. Of course if you sing it backwards it could take on a much darker meaning …

just a truck driving song…White Freight-liners were a very popular truck and are still around.

— Begin quote from "fiddlewood"

just a truck driving song…White Freight-liners were a very popular truck and are still around.

— End quote

Yep, I knew there were White Freight liner trucks (White bought Freight-Liner) but never took the song for the literal meaning in it.

SO it appears that this is gonna be the next? Larry you got a Key yet?

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

I like the idea of doing 80 of my long bpms on bass while y’all are doing 320 of your short bpms on the little instruments :mrgreen:

— End quote

Ok, I gotcha. :laughing:
I too lead a sheltered life. I thought the song was about riding in a truck.