Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Need some help on a timing issue

I’ve never had trouble laying down rhythm guitar tracks off the top of my head for songs I’m learning to pick, until now. The song “You are My Flower” which Wayne Henderson was playing on a clip I posted on the Carter Style thread is giving me a lot of grief. Chord changes in the tune don’t come on a beat you’d expect and I’m having a heck of a time figuring out the timing. Was hoping someone could explain it.

I went back and listened to it and that is pretty odd. One thing I have done which has allowed me to get funky timings is to transcribe the song into Tabledit. By listening, counting things out and and writing them in TE, it helps greatly. As time consuming as that might sound, I think it would be the fastest way for me to get it. Usually just the transcribing gets most of the work done. But even if it’s still not quite ingrained, you can then play along with TableEdit until it gets comfortable.

I’ve often thought about transcribing songs into TEF format. Is there a tutorial on how to do that?

— Begin quote from "beardedbanjo"

I’ve often thought about transcribing songs into TEF format. Is there a tutorial on how to do that?

— End quote

There are some youTube vids on using TablEdit, but those generally cover the technical aspects of how to use the program. In terms of learning to transcribe, the best way is to start into it and do it. It gets easier as you go along. I’d start with an easy song and go from there.