Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Need help on this one

youtube.com/watch?v=70UOeOJYd_k&sns=em

i understand that he is saying foward/backward roll but there is so many variations, i just cant seem to figure out which one he is doing. could anyone help me with understanding this, if i could see his hand i think i could get it,but cannot.

Thanks, I will try that. Trying to decode the mystery of playing backup, it been a fun ride so far putting everything together. Thanks again… :unamused:

4 - 5 slide on 4th string followed by 3, 1, 5, 1, 3, 4, 5, 3,1, 5, 1, 3, 4
Continue to repeat from the beginning including the slide.
Note: Keep the 4th string fretted at the 5th fret during the entire series of rolls.

Thanks for the reply, unable to play my banjo for now, had a accident at work they nearly took the top of my finger off. The doctor was able to save it, but when I get I back to playing I will for sure try that. Thank you and GOD BLESS

Very sorry to hear about your accident.
I wish you luck for a quick recovery!

Hi Scott, hope your finger is healing. Basically it is called an extended forward/reverse roll. It is used a lot for back up and especially useful when you go up the neck with g/c/d combos. The strings are 3,2,1,5,1,2,3 (which is the normal forward reverse) and then 1,5,1,2,3,2,1,2. As far as the right hand fingering it is TIMTMITI and then MTMITIMI. But you don’t break it like I did, just keep the whole thing flowing and it sounds just like it is called, extended forward/reverse roll. Good luck.

Sorry for the accident, but I am glad it sounds like it will heal!

Thanks for the support. I should be back to playing in a couple of weeks. i had my wife to take the stiches out this weekend, i have no feeling in my middle finger hopfully that will come back in time. Thanks again

About 10 years ago, I cut two of my fingers deeply and had something like 9 stitches. I lost feeling on the pad side of both fingers. It bothered me initially and I noticed it pretty often. After a few weeks, I quit noticing it as much. Now, I think my feeling has returned completely. It did take a while for feeling to return.