Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Nashville October '22

Going to my first cabin camp this October. Established jammer (singing/rythym guitar) Coming to re-learn my 5 string after 3 years away from it… are there any campsites nearby and is anyone staying at one, or which hotels are best for after camp jamming/socializing?TIA

4 Likes

5 string bass?
I will be staying at the Hampton. Each evening is done around 9 pm… and once it shuts down, this old dog heads back to the hotel… all jammed out.
Look forward to seeing you there!
Mr G

1 Like

Banjo

you are going to really enjoy the camp. Everywhere you turn there are folks to play with. The master classes you will get will be awesome too. Plus - you will get a really cool T-shirt.
mr g

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @bassguide !

The camp ground that is literally minutes away (about 1.5 miles!) from Cabin Camp is “Seven Points” on J.Percy Priest Lake. It’s clean and well kept, spacious sites, rustic, scenic, has W +E hookups & dump station, bath house. We camped there when attending Camp, & would definitely stay there again. Only thing is, they book up fast- so look into your reservation asap!

Also, 10 minutes away from Ben’s (about 4 miles) is “Nashville Shores” campground. They’ve got full hookups there, but it’s much more crowded. Its also on the lake. It’d be my second choice if Seven Points was booked.

https://www.nashvilleshores.com/rv-sites/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrs2XBhDjARIsAHVymmRfBeHGXqlHz1OSyYp5k3heloZjWHVrdI0o9s9CMPQRwmMKZeAtdEcaAvUzEALw_wcB

Hope this helps! I won’t be attending this camp, but I’m certain that you’re going to have the best time while you’re there!!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

The State Park is closer, but it’s been sold out every time I’ve had my RV down there, so I’ve stayed at Nashville Shores. It’s about 12 minutes from Ben’s place and they have sites that back up to Percy Priest Lake if you are into fishing. They should not be too busy in October since the waterpark attached to the campground will be closed.

1 Like

hey there to the nashville oct 22 campers! excited to come to my first banjo camp. been playing for about 8 months on the banjo and looking forward to increase my skills speed and playing with people. i am an advanced beginner so hopefully dont get left in the dust on the jamming, haha. i have been practicing up on the three main songs we will playing (amazing grace, nine pound hammer, and salt creek). let me know if there are other songs people are working on to jam with. excited to meet and play with you all. - ryan

3 Likes

I’m excited to have you, @ryan2!

You’ll want to get familiar with all the pickalong songs:
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-pov-pickalong-nine-pound-hammer-banjo-intermediate
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-pov-pickalong-old-joe-clark-banjo-beginner
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-pov-pickalong-unclouded-day-banjo-intermediate
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pick-along-cripple-creek-beginner

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply Ben and the song links. Good to know Old Joe Clark will be in there too. So i will pause on learning salt creek, and concentrate on cripple creek. I def want to be prepared as possible. Excited to meet you and the rest of Banjo Ben crew!

1 Like

I’ll be staying at Seven Points. Loved this little campground last year. Is anyone else staying here? Looking forward to another cabin camp!

2 Likes

You’re right down the road, cool! Looking forward to have you back, @derhard!

We (my wife) decided on Comfort Suites instead of dragging the camper 10 hrs…

2 Likes

Longest morning of my life…been up since 5…haha

1 Like

Me too! At Hampton inn… up since…. WAY too early!

Y’all have fun!!

1 Like

Goodness, what a day. My heart is so full.

6 Likes

Ben, I’m sorry I had to ghost out of there a little early tonight without saying goodbye to you. My friend and I were both exhausted. But I wanted you to know that this camp was very special for me. And not just for me, but to my student (Roger Hill) who came with me. He was blown away not just by the musicianship of the many students and teachers but also by the welcoming spirit he saw. It was my hope that he would see the bluegrass community as I see it. A community that accepts all comers just as they are. Everywhere we went in this camp there was a friendship offered and given and wonderful wonderful times of sharing music (and prayers) together. You made HIS weekend something very special. And that made MY weekend very special. I look forward to working with you in the music theory arena as you move forward, and I am praying that you will have nothing but the best as you close down this chapter and move onto the next. I count myself fortunate that I can say with confidence that Ben Clark is my friend. Blessings, Ben. Until next time…

Paige

5 Likes

I had a great time at camp this last week. Though I didn’t quite “nail it”, my confidence in playing with others was boosted enormously. Thanks to Ben and all the staff and my fellow campers for the inclusiveness of the camp and all of the new relationships. I especially loved the jam sessions and Katy’s teaching.

-Scott

2 Likes

Whatever you do do NOT stay in the Quality Inn in Mt. Pleasant. Look for my review on Trip Advisor and you’ll see why. It’s just across the road from the Hampton that is referenced here and that will be a much better experience. I’m with Mr. G; I did the camp in April and by the end of the day I was exhausted (in a good way) and ready for bed.

3 Likes