Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My wife has gone public with my GAS

My wife wrote the following. I think it’s an enjoyable read (although I am admittedly biased). I figured I would pass it along:

Nice story, Mike. I fear I have the same disorder. :slight_smile:

Good luck on the mandolin man. That is a serious instrument. You have to post some pics/audio if you score that one.

I read an interview by Steve Martin where he said that before deciding to get real serious and cut an album with his banjo, he bought a banjo and put it in every room in his house, on a stand that was easily accessible. That way he wouldn’t feel like it was a hassle to go into the other room, or dig one out of a case in a closet, but he could always just reach over and grab a banjo to practice.

Sounds like your getting ready to cut a record.

It turns out since I wasn’t taking the N20 to trade I didn’t need to go to Nashville, so I ended up just calling them to buy it. It ships Monday. The downside was that I was hoping to see Ben while I was there, but I can make another trip later when we have more time (this trip would have been up and back today). I do think the MT will make a great starter mandolin for Carolyn :smiley:

BB: I don’t know about cutting a record, but I’ll be recording some with my NetGrass friends. That’s good enough for me. I don’t think I want to really find the answer to the question “How many people will purchase a CD to hear my music?” :blush:

Here’s the picture from the listing:
[attachment=0]CollingsMT.jpg[/attachment]

Nice Mike! Congrats! Maybe we can hear a few licks on the 9# hammer recording. Hint, hint. :slight_smile:

That’s great Mike!

I have gas but not as bad as you! My wife does give me the “evil eye” from time to time with all my toys. When I want a new toy I get around the evil eye by coming up with really strange ways of justification that are pretty much out there. She usually just looks at me and says “whatever”, walks away and won’t talk to me for like 4 hours… and I take that as permission to move forward with the purchase…after all she didn’t say “No”.

— Begin quote from "TNTaylor414"

Nice Mike! Congrats! Maybe we can hear a few licks on the 9# hammer recording. Hint, hint. :slight_smile:

— End quote

We’ll do it if she will let me use it :smiley:

Two players and only one Collings, this sounds dangerous. For the sake of domestic harmony you might have to order another.

I like the thought process Jim! When all is said and done though if there’s a disagreement about who gets to play it, my wife knows who the boss really is… and by the way, it’s not me. :laughing:

Haha! That’s a funny read. I have to agree with your wife… that Taylor is beautiful.

My wife has a special skill. She can walk into any store and within minutes find the “finest” items. What’s amazing is that she can do this regardless of any prior knowledge of the items at hand or the asking prices. It can be paint, instruments, tools, comic books… whatever. Girl’s got skillz.

You are blessed Mike to have music in your life and to have a wife that also plays and she is good looking and can play what more could any one want . I left a small post back at the blog . very funny but also very true with most of us out here we would trade the grand kids for a new guitar (not really) but we would resort to some pretty wicked financial schemes to get a new one.

Do we ever grow up?

You are right Ken, I am blessed to have a wife like Carolyn. She gets home tonight, her parents arrive tonight and the mandolin is supposed to get here tomorrow. I look forward to watching her open the case for the first time. I think her Mom is more excited about getting the N-20 than Carolyn is about getting the mandolin.

Sounds like Christmas times a comin once more . wow there will be happy happy happy at your home tomorrow . Have a great time playing and singing .

The MT arrived and after a very long wait for it to come to room temperature, we played it a bit. It’s a pretty instrument and everything, but that tone is what it’s all about. It’s got a nice throaty chop and just a sweet, sweet tone. It plays wonderfully as well. I didn’t want to play too late and keep everyone up, but the initial impression is that it’s a lifetime keeper! :smiley:

That wait seems like forever when it’s sitting there in the room, but you don’t dare open it because you don’t want the finish to check. It’s tempting to just open the case real fast and take a peek and close it right back.

Glad it arrived safely and look forward to hearing it.

J.W.

— Begin quote from ____

It plays wonderfully as well. I didn’t want to play too late and keep everyone up, but the initial impression is that it’s a lifetime keeper!

— End quote

So has Carolyn got to play it yet or hasn’t managed to wrest it from your grasp? Let’s not forget the supposed real reason for this purchase :wink:

Well, I don’t know what you are talking about Oz :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

She has played it and likes it. She likes the other one as well. It’s surprisingly hard to play an A mando without a strap. We’ll get a strap in (it’s on order) and I suspect she’ll be hard to pry away the MT for a bit.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

The MT arrived and after a very long wait for it to come to room temperature, …

— End quote

I was unaware of this required waiting time. That’s the reason I love forums, you learn answers to questions that you never even knew to ask!