Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Muscle memory insight

This may be a bit lengthy but I believe the information I’ll share may be enlightening, especially to all those
“senior-late in life” beginner banjo players. Hopefully it may also be a bit informative to all those not yet at that vintage. This is about “Muscle Memory” that we all know is a critical component of banjo playing as well as learning any new instrument. Simply put, muscle memory is the performance of an activity, using as little as possible, any conscience effort. Basically, doing something without giving it much thought or effort.
Facing my 8th decade of life as a total beginning banjo player I wondered how age affected the development of muscle memory relative to being successful and remaining motivated for any extended period of time.
Does age affect MM ?? In a word YES and in several ways.
l. LEARNING IS SLOWED DOWN. The plasticity of the brain decreases as we age. As such, learning new motor skills becomes slower and affects the formation of muscle memory.
2. RETENTION is affected. Older adults intending on acquiring new muscle memory find it takes much longer to attain skills and retain them. However, muscle memory skills learned earlier in life continue to be retained.
3. MAINTENANCE. Older adults need consistent, regular, practice and training to maintain existing muscle memory. The old adage of use it or lose it becomes very evident.
4. PHYSICAL CHANGES. Age-related muscle loss also affects muscle memory. However, physical strength training does combat this condition.
5. NEUROLOGICAL CHANGES. The brains of older individuals experience changes in neurotransmitters and connections which impacts memory formation.
In short, age does affect muscle memory. However, consistent practice and adaption can lessen its impact, severity, and pain.
Other suggested strategies include:
-Regular Exercise -Prioritized Quality Sleep -Improved Diet/Proper Nutrition -Interacting Socially
-Resistance Training -Mental Exercises -Maintaining Consistent Routines
Thanks to all for lending an ear.
You Can’t Go Back And Change The Beginning …
But, You Can Start Where Your Are
And Change The Ending !!!

8 Likes

You sound like a guy who would enjoy & appreciate a little book called “The Laws of Brainjo.”
Written by a neuroscientist, he delves into things such as neuroplastisity, why “muscle memory” is a misnomer & how you can learn at any age.
He also plays clawhammer, but the principles are the same for any musical instrument.

3 Likes

Thanks Banjo. I know who you are referring to and read the book.
I initially tried out his method and declined to continue for several reasons.
Switched to BBC and never looked back.
No regrets for sure.
Bottom line … whatever floats yer boat !!! :+1:

1 Like

Wait…does this mean I’m smarter than a neurologist?! I’m calling my mom!

6 Likes

You misunderstood me. My point was not about instructional methods. It was about the ability of the brain to reshape itself to learn new & wonderful things.
Teaching is a whole different thing from knowing how to do it. Some outstanding players are lousy teachers. Some great teachers are lousy players.
I’m probably wrong, but somewhere back in time I suspect Ben came to a crossroad of how to spend his time. He could dive even deeper into the playing universe or he could open up a few doors & share that universe with others. Since he seems to be more people-focused than personally-focused, he chose to teach.
As a Beginner, that’s my Expert opinion😁

2 Likes

Your mom already knows.
Your sisters aren’t so sure.

5 Likes

Actually I was not referring to instructional methods but merely stating a life reality relative to an aging brain.
The human brain is always capable of learning new things contingent on numerous environmental, and
physiological stimuli. The ol adage of “teaching an old dog new tricks” controversy.
I was attempting to lend some encouragement to the “newbie” ol’ timers (like me) for a better understanding that the possible struggles they’re experiencing are simply a natural part of the present life cycle. That is, normal. Undoubtedly the human brain is continuously retrieving stimuli and formulating and regenerating neural pathways that enable social function and personality development. The items listed above are in fact
addendum realities to the aging brain. And, as such, should be recognized and accepted in order to promote a clearer understanding of aging brain’s functioning.
In plain terms … hopefully it will help anyone “rounding third” age to keep motivated, stay persistent, and never give up. Great things take time … at my age I just need a little more of it to “git er dun” :smile::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I’m not a neurologist, so my opinions on this subject aren’t necessarily valid (i.e. essentially worthless). I’ve often thought that our brains are similar to computer hard drives. Neural pathways can be built seamlessly in a nearly empty brain, but they must be built in meandering open spaces with connectors in a nearly full brain. I think that’s why us old folks have extra challenges learning new things (despite Turknett’s insistence). My brother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and his short term memory is currently the most impacted. When we talk of our childhood days, the conversation flows and we can be like old times. I think his old memories are simply more aligned in continuous strings. Defragmenting a hard drive gets a computer hard drive’s data nicely realigned. I pray that modern medicine can come up with something similar for us. Then not only could my brother benefit, but also all these young talents will have to watch out for us old wannabe musicians! :wink:

Sorry guy’s this is way beyond my pay grade. I like the simple life.

1 Like

@Archie, yes, that life is made simple, as the issue is settled, right here in this forum!

Cherokee Shuffle (ft. Eli Gilbert, David Benedict, Emil Anderson) - General chit chat - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

AAAmen -2-3-4, AAAmen 2-3-4, AAAAAAmen, 3-4 !!! :v::innocent:

I came,
I saw,
I forgot what I was doing.
Went back.
Got distracted.
And have no idea what’s going on.
Why did I write you ???
I have to use the restroom !!!
:laughing::rofl::joy::smiley::crazy_face::v:

2 Likes