Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Melodics

They have a cool sound and are a must learn for banjo but boy are they a different bird! I started the melodics series last night and had to stop the 2nd video halfway through, then just spent 30 mins or so practicing the first 7 measures of the intro tabs.

I’ve gotten used to straight up 3 finger rolls and melodic playing is almost like starting over, using mostly the thumb and index finger. And, as Ben says in the vids, it really goes against your instincts having to hit a lower string to get the next higher note in the scale.

I can see this is going to take some time but I’m determined to master it. I’m sure the payoff of being able to hit a slick melodic run is well worth the time and effort put into learning it. So gimme some encouragement boys!

Melodics not only sound good when used in the right place but are great exercises for getting the right hand used to doing different things.
They have really helped me improve the way I think about approaching both leads and back-up and the rewards for the time I’ve spent on them have far outweighed the trouble it has taken me to learn what small amount I have so far.

— Begin quote from "fiddlewood"

Melodics not only sound good when used in the right place but are great exercises for getting the right hand used to doing different things.
They have really helped me improve the way I think about approaching both leads and back-up and the rewards for the time I’ve spent on them have far outweighed the trouble it has taken me to learn what small amount I have so far.

— End quote

This is coming along slowly but surely. My right hand is getting used to the different placement and pickings. I have to keep making myself slow down, play cleanly and get the notes right. It’s frustrating sometimes but I’m determined to get it down.

I’ve found I need a short break after about 10 mins of the same thing. I start making mistakes big time if I just run on and on. So I’ll go about 10 mins, take a break and them come back to it.

It’s great that you can recognize when you need a break. I have a tendency to play too long at a time and then have to take more time off than I like because of cramping or swelling in my hands.

It’s very normal to need many short sessions and breaks when first trying something that uses the muscles in a new way. It does all become much easier with repetition though. The more time you’ve accumulated on the instrument the easier things come.