Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Martins prices are going up

The list on the Martin I bought at a special price was listed at $1649 but sold in the store for around $1348 I checked the list on the web site today and it had gone up to $2129. It was selling in the store for over $1700 . wow I just sit here and the price goes up .

What model was it? Maybe this year they changed up something? Wouldnt surprise me, seems like everything gets more expensive. I know Taylor has redesigned their 300 series this year. Changed up the backs and sides on the smaller body guitars.

I’ve noticed that many Martins have been going up a bit faster than I would have expected. They are selling a ton of them, so I guess it is that supply and demand thing.

That one seems to be very popular, the DCPA4 . I like it but would trade it for the right Taylor if one came along . Warning about acoustic guitar and electric , nothing ever sounds right after you play an acoustic for some time . nothing beats the sound of an acoustic.

And as new prices go up it raises the value of used ones which is good for current owners I guess.

I bought the Martin DPCA4 as well for around 1300 on sale back in the fall. Its listing for around 1800 or 1900 now, i think. Sounds good, probably shouldve waited about buying though.

The DCPA4 is listed for $2195 on their site . why would you want to wait til they went up it? makes your used guitar worth more. I like that, buy low sell high .

— Begin quote from "greyhound"

What model was it? Maybe this year they changed up something? Wouldnt surprise me, seems like everything gets more expensive. I know Taylor has redesigned their 300 series this year. Changed up the backs and sides on the smaller body guitars.

— End quote

Sorry I neglected to include that in my post. I have a DCPA4 just like you and the list is $2199 now .

At that time i wanted a martin drednaught, i didnt need a dreadnaught. Seems like, and this was around november ish one of the big box guitar stores had it on sale for 299 off and the price was 1699 so i bought. Its the whole buying it when didnt really need it thing i was referring to. Great guitar though!

Yep.

I would have expected Martin prices to go up much sooner than this. Keep in mind that the low to mid priced Chinese acoustics that Martin has been competing with in the last few years (Blueridge, Eastman…etc) have also had pretty serious price hikes. I purchased my Blueridge BR180 just 8 or so years ago for about $700. The price today, $1100+ (but closer to $1200+ at most places). The price of some Eastman acoustics is higher than an all solid wood Martin. Compare these two:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-custom-d-classic-mahogany-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

In this case, the Martin is actually cheaper!

However, if you were to purchase that same Martin acoustic (spruce top with hog b&s) with an Adirondack top, and ebony fittings (like the Eastman above), the price would skyrocket past the price of the Eastman. But the point is made. Martin should not have to compete with inexpensive Chinese acoustics on their own turf. Even Eastman acoustics (known for their high quality build) is still no real match for Martin’s quality build level. So Martin is just catching up with the rest of the world and raising their prices to stay where they should be, somewhere between the boutique hand made instruments and the decently made Pac-Rim instruments.

We may live in a time where purchasing a very nice acoustic is more affordable than ever, but only a Martin is a Martin. :wink: