Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Martin D18 is equivalent to what Taylor?

If you were going to compare a Martin to a Taylor, what Taylor would be about the same level as a D18? What about a D28?

3 Likes

The “D” in D18 and D28 identifies the body shape. The 18 and 28 model numbers relates mainly to trim level, and for Martin the majority of that spec is the back and side woods with an 18 being mahogany and 28 being rosewood (both solid woods). So to get a similar thing in Taylor, start with a dreadnaught shape. Then get the series with the appropriate back and side woods.

4 Likes

I have a Taylor Koa 224 and have wondered the same thing. I know that Blueridge, Eastman, and Recording King have comparable models but haven’t heard of any in the Taylor lineup. I like my Taylor, it’s versatile but it doesn’t have that low end boom we like to hear in Bluegrass. Great question though, I love talking about this stuff, you know “chasing that sound”.

4 Likes

Martin D18 would be a Dreadnought (D) made of spruce top with mahoghany back and sides.

D28 also a dread made with a spruce top and rosewood back and sides.

The letter in the Martin models refers to the body shape, and the numbers refer to the materials.

Obviously, there are some exceptions to every rule depending on when the guitar was made, but that’s the basic gist of it.

Similar Eastman guitars to the D-18 would be an E10D
Eastman to D-28 would be an E8D (I had one from Banjo Ben, AWESOME guitar, to illustrate HOW nice Eastman’s are, I sold it for MORE than I paid for it). The E20 is also a spruce / rosewood dread

Similar Taylor to D-18 would be a Taylor 517
D-28 to Taylor looks like it would be a 210

3 Likes