Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mandolin vs. Guitar Pick

I know there are a lot of discussions about mandolin picks, but what about guitar? Do you folks use the same pick on guitar as mandolin? Thoughts?

3 Likes

I do, and I believe Ben does as well.

3 Likes

Same here. I use the CT 55; works great on both instruments.

2 Likes

I change from time to time. I’ve been CT55 shape on guitar consistently for a while, but on mandolin I migrate from that CT55 to a rounded triangle shape (TPR40 or 50) and that is where I have been recently.

3 Likes

I don’t always use the same pick but it’s not the instrument that determines my choice.

8 Likes

I stick pretty much to one pick on guitar and don’t use that one on mandolin.
I use a small variety on mandolin, still searching for what works best for what I’m doing at the time.

2 Likes

My sister (mandolin player) and me (guitar player) both use a BlueChip TP 60. We share a teacher who plays mandolin and guitar and he uses that same pick for both instruments. We both think it’s perfect.

7 Likes

I use a Dunlop Prime Tone 1.3 for mandolin and it keeps changing for me on guitar. Currently using a Bum Budda Dummm pick for guitar.

6 Likes

Wow, that is a rare one!

4 Likes

Yep. Dunlop Primetone small triangle 1.3, smooth. I can’t seem to like anything else as well, and I’ve never tried a Blue Chip. I’m afraid I’d lose it. I use for both guitar and mandolin.

3 Likes

I use different picks for each.

2 Likes

The mandolin is rarely played with fingers only, many performers use conventional guitar picks, of which therere many kinds, shapes and types. So there's no point in debating, I use guitar picks [https://ironageaccessories.com/](https://ironageaccessories.com/ ) it's just comfortable for me and I don't care if anyone thinks it's wrong. The important thing is what thickness you use. The thickness of pick is alpha and omega, it's the main point to focus on, because its what determines the sound. Thin plectrums are ideal if you prefer a soft sound, and thick ones are considered more aggressive. And that’s all you need to concern with!

1 Like

I don’t really like using the same ones. I think the ones for guitar are a little more stable and harder, and I like to change them. Of course, it’s up to you, and I know a lot of people who don’t like to change them. However, if you’re looking for the best guitar picks, you should check out this site. I always buy them here, and I’m more than satisfied. Don’t forget that they have an extensive collection from which you can choose the model you like that fits your style, and the prices are not that high.

1 Like

I use both a bluechip CT-55 and an SR-60. I use the 55 for faster songs and the SR-60 (which has a more rounded shape) for slower song which makes for a smoother tremolo.
I hardly ever play guitar but when I do I use the CT.

2 Likes

I used to use a different pick for mandolin and guitar, but since getting my Primetones I’ve just been using those. I love them on both.

3 Likes

Primetones are great!
I’ve got one of those too

2 Likes

hmm