Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mandolin Chop 3/4 Waltz Time

Hi Guy’s. I am looking for a simple TAB example of Mandolin Chop 3/4 Waltz Time. GCD Chords.

It’s exactly the same concept as vamping banjo in 3/4 time, only with flatpick downstrokes :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Mark I don’t play Mando or Guitar I’m just want a visual of the TAB for a project I am working on

1 Like

Archie, you could use the TAB for this as a template & write a 3/4 to your specifications…basically just leave out the 3rd beat…

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/basic-mandolin-rhythm-part-8-mandolin-beginner

1 Like

Thanks Dave. I have this already what I’m looking for is an example of the boom chuck chuck but with more of a muffled sound. If you follow.

What exactly are you trying to find? Tab does not always notate the muting; sometimes it just goes without saying. Actually, usually rhythm players wouldn’t use tab but rather a NNS chart. Are you looking for more of a TEF file or similar concept?

2 Likes

Yes Michael I explained this in my earlier post. Either a TEF or PDF example would do.

Are you looking for an exact tab length? A specific chord structure? What’s wrong with the tab Dave posted?

1 Like

Hi Michael the TAB that Dave linked to is in 4/4 time. I hear I high pitch notes in the TAB when played. I just want to see where strings are fretted for GC & D Chords and maybe an explanation of how to mute the TAB so it sounds more like a chop than a melody note. If your not familiar with writing TABs using TablEdit then you will find it difficult to understand what I am hoping to achieve

1 Like

Try 'ghost notes?

X notes?

shorten duration further?

2 Likes

Looks promising Dave I’ll try that Thanks

Dave linked that probably because he wants you to learn to be able to transfer to 4/4. Yes, the mandolin is high pitched, so I would imagine that’s the cause of the high pitched notes :slightly_smiling_face: I’m not sure if TablEdit has a “chop” or “mute” feature; in Ben’s Tef files, the mando rhythm is usually ringing out.

You can also try taking out the highest notes.

Some mando rhythm is actually played on just the lower strings (not full chords)

3 Likes

Now this is what I was hoping for. Can you show examples ? I don’t play Mando so I have no clue where the strings would be fretted.

If you go back to the TAB just try erasing/deleting the highest string (E/1st)…then try the same with the top two strings.

If you eliminate the highest note in a chord you don’t need to know where it’s fretted.

I believe if you eliminate the highest notes and also use less duration you may get closer to what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Do you mean the notes on the E & A strings ?

1 Like

you got it!

1 Like

Ok so do I play these as open strings or not played ?

not played

1 Like

Thanks Buddy I give that a twirl and let you know how I made out

1 Like