Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mando pentatonic major vs minor

Hope I’m asking this correctly. The difference between a major and minor pentatonic scale is that the third tone in the scale is always flattened for the minor, correct?

Thanks.

While that is true, there are other differences. To convert a minor pentatonic to it’s relative major, just start on the third (or the second note of the pentatonic) if you want the major in the same key as your playing the minor, move the whole thing down three frets and then start on the third (or second) there should be others who can make a little more sense than me

2 Likes

“The minor pentatonic scale formula is 1, b3, 4, 5, b7”

5 Likes

True in any Key!

3 Likes

On the guitar, you play a 1st position minor pentatonic, to get the major pentatonic scale, you go down the neck 3 frets. Play an A minor pentatonic scale (1st position) on the 5th fret (minor), play the same 1st position F minor scale on the 2nd fret(major). Does that translate to the mandolin and banjo?

1 Like

HI Ross, and welcome to the forum!

First: 3 frets down from A is F sharp.

second: Yes, moving down 3 half-steps works on other instruments.

Note: the hard part is remembering you’re playing over A. Continually using the F# (6) as a target or “root” note, instead of the A you’re playing over (like you might in a normal situation like the A- part) may not sound the best, so breaking some muscle memory habits may be in order. …Hope this makes sense.

3 Likes

Thanks it does make sense and I’ll try using this. F# is the relative minor for the key of A! Holy cow! It all ties together, who would have thunk it!

3 Likes