Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Learning to Let Go & Relax While Playing

I am!.. But… I got a bit board so I went for the upgrade of a new Banjer !!!:money_mouth_face::smile: I’m so jazzed,received it late Monday and it’s a real beauty. now I’m just a bit scattered. It sounds so good I’m having a hard time focusing on one particular subject. I know Cadillac problems!! Rite.

5 Likes

Thanks @petebatryan for posting this. Very reassuring to read these posts. I get so intense while playing that my wife has coined a new term of “banjo face” in our daily language. In fact I was about to submit my self-filmed video for the cabin fever drawings and my wife said, “you can’t submit that—it has too much banjo face!” So she filmed me and I had to really shake off that tension. This contest also introduced me to this forum and I find it a wealth of suggestions. In particular I look forward to reading insight from Dave Long (@Fiddle_wood). So thanks Dave and everyone else for providing so much help!

5 Likes

@petebatryan please excuse the delay in my reply!

43 Likes

Words of wisdom! What other people think is none of my business. We do the best job we can with what god gave us and the rest is in his hands.

9 Likes

Excellent Post @BanjoBen That sure made a lot of sense. I am hopeful it will help me release some of the tension in my playing/performance good_post

7 Likes

I’ve never been able to put into words so well exactly the conclusion I came to about myself a few years back.

Very well spoken @BanjoBen

10 Likes

Wow. This Video convicted me. If I can be honest with myself for a minute, if I get nervous, it’s exactly that; Pride in my playing, worrying what others think or me attempting to impress someone. It really does help if I can “lose” myself in the music & forget all of the imaginary ‘adjudicators’ and set aside my Pride for a minute while I play. This is a humbling video to watch on several levels.

Music must have been made by God as it comes from the heart & soul if its done well. If it comes from the prideful head, then we’re doomed to fail. Thanks for this.

12 Likes

@BanjoBen,

This video is insprational in its’ honesty and its’ practicality. Thank you for sharing your innermost thoughts and feelings - all in an effort to help us in what ultimately is a true Life Lesson for all of us that transcends its’ original scope.

@petebatryan,

Thank you for having the courage to pose this post and helping all of us from the responses given.

THIS is another example of the extreme benefits of this Forum.

I am honored to be among you.

7 Likes

A very wise man in my life said that if the pastor’s sermon doesn’t make the people squirm a little he’s going too easy. Mr. Clark you addressed the very thing that scared the spit out of me, but I just wouldn’t admit to it, I didn’t want to let people see my mortality and flaws, playing the banjo to me makes me feel so alive, but I’m the only one that hears me play so I never have to admit the sour notes, but now I am, and am now putting out a challenge to all who read this, you might call it a first take challenge. Post a first take of your song, The song I posted is one I have played a thousand time over but haven’t ever recorded, I wanted to post a video but it wouldn’t https://banjoben-discourse-upload.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/9/9ef9cbce6d04ceefa177637fdc938f46fa2c3937.m4a . Here you go y’all the real me.

13 Likes

Excellent Jesse :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight, Ben. Humbling but so very true. I sincerely believe your message will make a difference—not to improve my playing—but to put my “importance” in the correct perspective. Thank you so very much!

7 Likes

Good for you Jesse now ease back on that throttle, take a deep breathe and go again.

7 Likes

Ben,

Your video reply to Pete was worth my whole Lifetime membership!!! Thank you for not just giving us lessons, but for also sticking beside us and helping us along the way! It reminds me of how God works in our lives when we accept Christ as our Savior! A lifetime, personal relationship.

Pete,

Thank you for your honest post! I will also be 56 (next month) and I carry the exact same struggles, so don’t feel alone! I’ve been told by folks at Church and of course my wife that I actually look mad when I’m playing or doing a special. I think Ben nailed it about playing in front of your home Church… And also the pride thing!

Thanks to you both and God Bless!

BTW, I’ve always thought Roy Clark had the best concentrated facial expressions… what a gifted talent yet you could see the concentration in his expressions!

8 Likes

That was so right on so many levels!! It’s the same reason I used to be fine singing for a bunch of people I didn’t really know, but if my family was in the room I wouldn’t sing at all.
I feel like everyone needs to hear that whether they’re a musician or not, cuz it’s a really good sermon on pride and insecurity too.

6 Likes

Love it!!! Thank you for that feedback! I didn’t mean for it to be a sermon but truth is gonna do what truth does. I do recommend that you cut that speed down and post it again. I have had to learn how to play slower over the years.

11 Likes

Yeah I just went back to listen to it again and I rushed that too much, try this one. https://banjoben-discourse-upload.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/8/8740a0e39dbc1faebaca71b1d50948a9a0113ab3.m4a

8 Likes

That, to me, is the perfect banjo playing speed. I don’t have any desire to play faster than that anymore, though I sometimes do :wink: It’s really good. There are a couple bobbles and we do want to strive for perfection, but it’s important that even when we bobble we don’t “break time.” You learn that even when you mess up or crash the song must go on and not lose a beat. A good way to train this is to use the .tef tab files b/c they keep going no matter how much you mess up, haha.

9 Likes

I have to keep reminding myself that if I can’t sing or stomp the beat while I play I am going too fast, and that is something I have always fought, to grow out of my impetuous stage in life and put accuracy before speed, and the funny thing is, is that up to speed wasn’t as far away as I had thought.

7 Likes

That one sounds way less rushed, one would almost say clean! Nice job!

4 Likes

Much Much better @Hillbilly_picker but go back an listen closely you missed out a phrase at the beginning.

3 Likes