Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Leaning on the everlasting arms

Great job with the arrangement, the playing and the video production. That’s really impressive work in every facet. Not to mention that I really dig the song you chose. I just found a new shiny object :slight_smile:
After I get the guitar stuff going, I might even pick up the mando for the first time in forever.

What have I to dread? What have I to fear? Leaning on the everlasting arms.

This song has been rumbling around through my head the last few days. Thanks for putting it there.

I OWN this topic :slight_smile:

A question for anyone who would be kind enough to chime in… I hadn’t really run into it before. Most of my swinging has been slow. If you are playing an up-tempo song that you are swinging the eighths a bit, do you swing it while you are getting the notes committed to muscle memory? Alternately, do you get the notes down and then add the feel? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,

I will try to learn it the way I am going to play it.

If I know I will always swing a section I will learn it that way. If it is something I might play either way I would probably learn to get through it all first then work on the intricacies.

Thanks Dave,
That’s the way I was going with it, but it’s really good to have your input. I am having a hard time swinging it a little bit. I seem to want to all out swing it or play it straight. I suspect once I start getting up to speed, I will “unswing” a little naturally.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

If you are playing an up-tempo song that you are swinging the eighths a bit, do you swing it while you are getting the notes committed to muscle memory? Alternately, do you get the notes down and then add the feel?
— Begin quote from ____

I dunno, but when you get the answer, please let me know. I have a terrible time trying to play with that ‘swing’ feel. And I usually forget to do it when I should. Lately, I’ve been getting more comfortable playing faster, so maybe it’ll start to get easier.

— End quote

— End quote

When I work on reading music, I’m the exact opposite. I learn straight eighth notes first. Then swing it after I have it down. If I have a tef file programmed to swing, though, I don’t bother learning straight eighths.

I’m such a pushover, I can agree with everyone. I started out doing the same thing Larry (learning it straight). I was just going from the PDF tab, so I wasn’t even thinking about swinging it. Then I realized it should (could) be swung and then I started trying to swing it as I was getting the notes committed to memory. That raises a good reason to be working from the TEF instead of the PDF.

— Begin quote from ____

That raises a good reason to be working from the TEF instead of the PDF.

— End quote

I have just about eliminated working with printed tab. If it’s in printed form I just load it into TablEdit. For instance, I have the new issue of Flatpick Guitar Magazine almost completely tef’ed (I just made up a word). TablEdit speeds up my learning so much, and eliminates so many mistakes, it’s worth the time and effort to me. If I work with printed music, it’s standard notation, and I’m only doing that to learn how to read.