Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

King Wenceslas Beginner Course

King Wenceslas is in the beginner course but your last example is impossibly fast. Do you really think beginners can play that fast or are you just showing off? Its quite demoralizing when you think you have it down at the slow pace and then try it faster. Just seems to be a train wreck for me. Maybe I don’t understand the lesson format. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

2 Likes

Scott, I can assure you that Ben is one of the last people on earth who would show off! :slightly_smiling_face:
You can do it. Making a jump from one tempo to another without a good amount of practice is tricky.
I think Ben plays like that not because he expects you to be able to do that, but to show what he thinks you can do. Don’t get discouraged- get encouraged :+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Hey Scott, The whole purpose of the Beginners Learning Track is to help you improve your knowledge and playing skills and prepare you to move to the next level. @BanjoBen 's lessons are pitched to encourage you to challenge yourself.

You ask

With study and practice - Yes I do.

I have a question for you. Have you put in the study and practice to take on this challenge?

The only reason the tune sounds fast is because there are a lot of 16th note embellishments. Maybe you are not ready for this.

As to Ben showing off. In all the years I have known him, when it comes to teaching a lesson he never shows off unlike some other teachers I have worked with.

If you use the right tools, as recommended i.e. TablEdit/TEFView to play the TAB TEF file you can slow it down to match your skill level. Help you improve and develop your skills and help you to build speed into your playing.

I hope this is helpful as well as encouraging. I have faith in you Scott. You can do it!

If you start now you should have it mastered by Christmas

4 Likes

I should also point out that you posted this query on the Old Website Forum Archive. If you have a query about a lesson, on the lesson page scroll down to the bottom and click on Continue Discussion

1 Like

@Scott: You can slow down video playback by clicking on the sprocket-like icon and choosing a slower speed, if the lesson is moving too fast. Your speed will build up with repetition and acquired muscle memory – and that can be a slow process. Slowing the videos can help you follow along until you are ready increase the tempo.

2 Likes

For beginners like myself, we do have the option of sticking to the basic melody. You are not required to do the eighth notes &scales or the licks. This is true of a lot of the lessons here. A lot of the time there is a beginner version of the melody for an A part and then a more challenging B part, but you always have the option of just playing the A part twice if that is where you are. (And it’s where I live so welcome to the neighborhood).

2 Likes

Thank you for responding and your words of encouragement.strong text

2 Likes

Hey Scott,
Just so you know, you are not alone. The last tempo and fully developed version is fast for a “beginner.” I worked on it last year for Christmas and did not get it up to the final speed (220 if I remember correctly). All that said, what the folks before said is true. You could probably play the basic melody pretty fast if that was your goal. Also, just because Ben has an mp3 at whatever speed, it doesn’t mean that should be your goal. Some folks will play faster (and most play faster then me). That’s ok. Most songs have a wide range of speeds that sound “good.” Keep on trucking!

2 Likes

I’m not trying to show off in the lesson, though sometimes I do. Hey, watch how fast I can type. Ready? Here goes: a;slekfjawoeifj;aoelirjfaoelkdnv;.akdv;aleirjf;aleivn;aeldkv

@lxsn I jest, but I want you to know I understand what you’re saying. The reason why it’s filed as beginner is because the first 2 solos in the build-a-break are beginner level, even though they are FAST, yes.

I have struggled with how to classify the build-a-break lessons because by default they start out at a lower skill level then grow to often “advanced” level. I want beginners to taste the lesson and work on getting the basic melody, and also the more advanced players to see how to turn a basic melody into something more razzle dazzle.

Also, note that I include jam tracks that are at a slower tempo, so make use of those. Enjoy! Looking back, I think I played this too fast for the melody anyway…I was probably trying to impress my wife.

13 Likes

I appreciate your response and let me apologize for my “showing off” comment. I was just frustrated. At my age of 68 I need to have more realistic goals and being another Banjo Ben should not be one of them :rofl:. I’ve just purchased a banjo from you and look forward to starting your banjo lessons as soon as I receive the banjo. Thanks.

5 Likes

Hi Scott I was a late starter too. I took up the banjo at 61 and I am now 75 and still learning. The youngin’s rattle through these lessons but I work through them at my own slow but steady pace. Over the years I have been a student here I have worked my way through almost all the banjo lessons. Some I didn’t spend a lot of time on, some I spent weeks even months on. We all get frustrated at times, it’s part of the learning process. My advice is to work through at you own pace. You’ll find your first year will be a steep learning curve but if you stick with the programme it will soon level off. The good news is, as you climb the skills ladder the lessons may become more challenging but there will come a time when you find the lessons easy as your knowledge and skill level develops.

1 Like

Do we not have a category called “intermediate” for that? j/k.

Just recently I checked out a beginner guitar lesson Buffalo Gals. It was pretty fast at 200 bpm. But then when I played it, I found it to be easier to reach that speed than comparatively lower speed intermediate lessons. I needed that “beginner” lesson to gain speed. I think Ben goes by the complexity of notes to determine the category rather than mere speed.

1 Like

Correct, speed is secondary.

3 Likes