Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Joy to the world

How did you miss this section, Jim? I think it’s the busiest part of the forum when we have a project rolling. You should jump in on the next one.

Since it seems we’re nearly finished with this project, I posted http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12599854 over at Soundclick.

Thanks for putting that out on soundclick!

I made a new mix. The primary changes are:
Removed the synchtone
Replaced the bass part only at the beginning as it was clipping noticeably on three notes. It was right up front where it bugged me. I also adjusted the EQ and levels on the bass.
Altered the levels a wee bit
Added processing for the mix as a whole by adding a slight compression and re-normalizing (this is to get a slightly louder sounding track)
Added EQ for the mix as a whole. Slight cut from 1k to 2.5k (less harshness) Slight bump from 6k to 12k (more sparkle)
Put a slight spreader on the mix as a whole. I just like using the spreader to adjust my final soundstage width. I ended up widening it s bit,
I recounted what I did so that if someone wants me to un-do something, at least we’ll have a clue where to start.
Here’s a link:
kompoz.com/compose-collabora … ctId=42952

If anyone wants anything different in the mix, please let me know. I am going to start working on the sing-along version.

I uploaded the new version to Soundclick. I like keeping a library of our completed projects since they get spread out on different host accounts on Kompoz.

I’m on my little laptop right now so I can’t give the new mix a fair listen, but I’ll check it out later.

— Begin quote from ____

Replaced the bass part only at the beginning as it was clipping noticeably on three notes. It was right up front where it bugged me. I also adjusted the EQ and levels on the bass.

— End quote

Aha! I didn’t think I had put that bass run in there :confused: Yes the clipping bugged me too but I didn’t have time to fix it. Also the mix levels are better now - I thought the bass was a bit too loud in the previous mix (this from a bass player? :open_mouth: )

It’s got to be a weird feeling hearing a bass run and not remembering playing it :smiley: I just faded between the bass track I did previously (once I tweaked it to sound more like your bass) and yours to cover the clipped notes. The bass run you didn’t recall playing covered the third note and everything after that is your handy work. There is one more clipped note later on that I heard, but it is much more subtle since everything else is kicked in at that point.
On the bass levels, it was more a re-eqing than level changes. In fact, I think the levels might have gone up a smidge once I got the EQ dialed in to where it sounded balanced. On my system (far from a reference system) I can now better hear the higher bass work you did as well.

Minor update. I played with a new toy, a multi-band compressor. It makes a subtle, but noticeable difference. I went from using a full spectrum compressor to a 4 band compressor (splits at 200, 1000 and 4000 hz). In essence it makes it a bit more dynamic. When the bass was hitting with the other instruments (such as the mando chop) the compressor was bringing them all down. Now it allows individual compression of the various frequency ranges.

kompoz.com/compose-collabora … kId=292376

I got another like on the project. I think it was Shawn. Thanks! Unfortunately, I was wrong. Likes don’t bring reputation points.
But on a better note, to paraphrase Sally Field… “They like me! They really, really like me!” :laughing:

I love the multi-band compressor for mastering. I think I add it to just about every project I do.

I think the first version is about complete. If anyone wants me to make a different mix, let me know. Thanks for all the submitted tracks and suggestions! It has been a fun project. I like the results quite a bit.

I got a little time in on the sing-a-long version (SAL). I haven’t quite got it all laid out, but I have a bit of a plan. While on the instrumental version I left it fairly “pure” (minimal editing and effects), on the SAL I am using any and all tricks in the bag. I am thinking it will transition (during the song) from sounding like a fairly sterile environment to (hopefully) a big dining hall, so it will be pretty obvious that there is some technology involved. I apologize in advance to any who I offend with such technological intrusions. I learned from a a box of cereal that my DJ name would be Pontyac Mac (name of stree I grew up + first pet’s name, replace all "i"s with "y"s). Anyway, I am planning on making a new Kompoz project for it. I think when you first publish a project it gets more traffic. If no one objects, I will open it up to anyone who wants to add a singing track.

Hey Mike, I got my new mics today and my finger feels pretty good so I did another take and just uploaded two new tracks for lead mandolin on Kompoz. After I got it all completed, I realized you said to use V-9 track. I used the V-3 track that I already had stored in Reaper. It’s there if you want to listen to it but I don’t know if you’ll be able to use it or not. If it’s getting too late on the project and you don’t want to mess with it, that’s ok too. I’m just happy I was able to get my tracks into mp3 format and uploaded to kompoz this time without any help! :smiley:

Let me know, I can do it again tomorrow on V-9 if I need to. The more I do this, the easier it becomes.

Thanks, J.W.

Hey JW!
No worries on using the earlier version. It will be fine. I have had internet issues the last day or so. If I can stay online I should get the mix up today.
Thanks!

Sounding good fellas!

Sorry about not contributing as I figured with the instruments you had join in that my guitar would be redundant. I did however work out a break and have followed along so far with the progress.

Hey Jesse!
By all means, feel free to upload another break. We can continue to tweak the mix over time. My reason for putting a deadline on it was so we could get something “done.” I am getting ready to re-mix it with JW’s new solo tracks.

Go for it oldhat. If you already worked out a break, it shouldn’t go to waste. That might be a good last break since it starts with guitar, the last break could be guitar too and then keep the same ending. That’s just my opinion. Mike’s doing a great job getting this all together.

J.W.

I posted a new version with JW’s new mandolin tracks. Great job JW! The playing is as good or better than any of the takes I remember hearing. I think the new mics do a real nice job. They are sensitive little buggers. I could hear something like a high pitched swishing (maybe your shirt sleeves). I think it was centered around 2khz. I notched it out, and I don’t in any way think it’s a problem. I’m just passing along that they are sensitive. When I am recording with condensers I sometimes have to use a pop filter as I often breath in the direction of the neck mic! :astonished:

One other slight change, I increased the volume of the dobro chops a bit.

Please take a listen, and if I need to adjust anything, let me know.
kompoz.com/compose-collabora … kId=292665

Howdy all,
I got an initial version of the sing-a-long going. I admit up front, it’s a bit geeky, so feel free to pile on. Just submit a vocal track to go along with it :smiley:
The concept is at the end of our JTTW, the listener walks into an actual performance where we got together to play… kind of a bluegrass Christmas song meets Pink Floyd concept album. Yes, as I said, I admit that am a geek/dork/many other things. You may also notice some slight variations on how things were played versus where I put them. In essence, I used our existing project as a playground. Sorry in advance to any whose sensibilities I may have offended.

I am going to get my wife and a neighbor (and whoever I can get tonight) to sing a track tonight. I want to get a few voices on there before I post it to a new Kompoz project so people will understand it’s an ensemble/caroling kind of thing.
If anyone wants to post a track before I put it on Kompoz, please note a couple items:

1. Please don’t use real close micing so as to simulate a room recording. The levels can be nice and high, but close micing has a different sound. Maybe 18" as a minimum. Further away is perfectly fine.
  2. Feel free to EQ your voice, but otherwise please leave it raw. I am adding a healthy amount of effects to get the room effect, and I don’t want the effects to stack.
  3. If anyone doesn’t want their “solo” separate track out there for the world to hear, feel free to send it to me via email.

Thanks in advance, here’s the link to the track:
EDIT: Updated with new track:
kompoz.com/compose-collabora … ctId=42952

I got my wife and a friend (Pam) to sing. The friend recorded two tracks (one melody, one harmony). Anyone who wants to add multiple tracks, have at it.

It’s starting to already sound pretty interesting. It’s like I am right there in the room with Larry, Ozi, JW and Shawn. It brought a tear to my eye. I’ll have to keep re-balancing as we add voices. I think we need more banjo already… not too many times you hear people say “turn up the banjo!”

I’ll bundle up what I have tomorrow or Saturday and put it out in a new project and open the invitations for anyone who wants to throw a vocal track on there.

It’s kind of weirdly quiet, and I haven’t heard from anybody, so I wanted to confirm. Is it ok with the people who submitted tracks that I made a different mix to add a caroling verse? To be clear, my intent was that the instrumental version and the caroling version would both be “supported.”
If anyone would rather me not put the caroling version out to to have people submit vocal tracks, please let me know. You can PM or email me if you would rather not discuss this in a public forum.

Had to go out of town on some calls. Propane business gets busy with cold weather right before Christmas. Everybody panics. :unamused: Anyway, I listened to it and I like it! I thought it was too short before and kinda just came to a sudden stop so this adds some more length to it and adds a different flavor as well. My favorite thing is using Shawn’s banjo break as backup for the singing. (I think it’s Shawns break). Great choice, gives it the right feel and I’m not much of a banjo guy. I don’t think any of the other breaks would have worked nearly as well.

I’m good with it.

Jeff

I was going to feign outrage that you’d tinker with my “art” but I figured no one would buy it. The truth is, like Jeff, I’ve just been busy the last couple of days. I can fully appreciate the desire to play with all those cool options on your DAW. I’m the same way. If we don’t try the stuff, we’ll never know what works.

I’ll throw out some thoughts on the mix, not to criticize but just to give feedback.

[ul]On my first listen, the switch to Bb seemed kind of abrupt, but on subsequent plays, when I knew it was coming, it didn’t seem so disruptive. I wonder if a few bass notes to lead us up to Bb would smooth the transition?[/ul][ul]The alteration to the banjo’s key seems pretty natural to me, but the mandolin sounds a little chipmunky (did I just invent that word?).[/ul][ul]The singing from the ladies is very nice. I’ll see if I can get a vocal track recorded this evening[/ul]