Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Joy to the world

Perfect timing Ozzie! :smiley:
I just uploaded a version my PBass on there. I came by here to post a link:
kompoz.com/compose-collabora ā€¦ tId=42952#

I look forward to getting your track Ozzie. Not only do you play great, but I like having more people involved whenever possible. Whenever you get it done, Iā€™ll swap them out. Thanks everybody! Feel free to throw whatever you want at it.

Once we get get this buttoned up over the next few days we can ā€œshipā€ that one. Then my plan is to make a new ending, change keys (up a whole step) add one verse and make a platform for as many people as we can get to sing it. It may end up being cheesy, but itā€™s worth a shot. I can probably use the existing tracks that I canā€™t play by pitch shifting.

I uploaded a big one chord dobro ending. I also stuck a dobro chop under Jeffā€™s mando solo just in case you wanted to try for a more organic feel (not doubling the mando with lead and rhythm at the same time). My chopping skills are pretty minimal, so feel free to keep the mando chop if it works better.

Iā€™ve uploaded bass line. Audacity wouldnā€™t let me copy the stereo click intro onto the mono track but it shouldnā€™t be hard to sync it.
Also a few notes may have peaked too high (I had speaker rattle) but I couldnā€™t work out how to correct it quickly without rerecording so hope you can deal with that in the mix.

Iā€™ll be back tomorrow so if it needs changing let me know. Gotta get movingā€¦

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me be involved in this project everyone. Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve ever recorded anything with someone else. Iā€™ve done some recording at home on an old Tascam cassette recorder but thatā€™s about all. Iā€™ve learned alot quick and have had alot of fun with this.

Itā€™s sounding good and coming together quite nicely. I like how you left out the chops on the mando solo Mike, it gives it more of a live feel like we discussed earlier. Iā€™m anxious to hear Larryā€™s Dobro chops mixed in and Ozzieā€™s bass.

I may do a replacement lead mandolin part with a better mic when I get one.

Thanks again, J.W.

Thanks Larry! Thatā€™s exactly the type of ending I had in mind. When I listened to it in isolation, it sounds like something from a Wiley Coyote cartoon soundtrack. In the future when I have a request for one, Iā€™ll just say, ā€œCan you give me a Wiley Coyote?ā€ Thanks for the chops too. Iā€™ll mix them in and see how they fit. I wasnā€™t trying to make it sound like a live setting, but we can do a few different mixes and I can push it more towards that. Pulling the rhythm guitar out of the first break might be problematic because of the intro. One thing I could do is swap the dobro and gtr breaks, and drop the rhythm gtr out during itā€™s break. It might be a day or two before I get another mix done. Thanks for the additional track, if you think of anything else, have at it!

ā€” Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Iā€™ve uploaded bass line. Audacity wouldnā€™t let me copy the stereo click intro onto the mono track but it shouldnā€™t be hard to sync it.
Also a few notes may have peaked too high (I had speaker rattle) but I couldnā€™t work out how to correct it quickly without rerecording so hope you can deal with that in the mix.

Iā€™ll be back tomorrow so if it needs changing let me know. Gotta get movingā€¦

ā€” End quote

Thanks Ozzie. Maybe itā€™s because it has to travel 8000 miles (maybe I am just looking past it), but I donā€™t see the track. If there are issues with Kompoz, you can email it to me.

ā€” Begin quote from "jwpropane"

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me be involved in this project everyone. Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve ever recorded anything with someone else. Iā€™ve done some recording at home on an old Tascam cassette recorder but thatā€™s about all. Iā€™ve learned alot quick and have had alot of fun with this.

Itā€™s sounding good and coming together quite nicely. I like how you left out the chops on the mando solo Mike, it gives it more of a live feel like we discussed earlier. Iā€™m anxious to hear Larryā€™s Dobro chops mixed in and Ozzieā€™s bass.

I may do a replacement lead mandolin part with a better mic when I get one.

Thanks again, J.W.

ā€” End quote

Thanks for helping make what I think will be a nice song! I havenā€™t cut the chops out yet, but Iā€™m glad you like it anyway :smiley:
Itā€™s been nice getting to know you better on this project.

BTW, if we need to get somebodyā€™s ā€œreputationā€ points pumped up, ā€œacceptingā€ a track gets them up in a hurry. JW has more reputation points than I do now.

ā€” Begin quote from ____

it sounds like something from a Wiley Coyote cartoon soundtrack

ā€” End quote

Iā€™ve learned to do a pretty good Woody Woodpecker with the dobro, too.

Glad youā€™re enjoying the whole online recording process, Jeff. Itā€™s pretty fun to hear it take shape over time, isnā€™t it? Itā€™s a lot different than playing live.

I donā€™t see oziā€™s bass track either.

ā€” Begin quote from "mreisz"

I havenā€™t cut the chops out yet, but Iā€™m glad you like it anyway

ā€” End quote

Wow! I hear that now after listening to it again through headphones instead of the computer speakers. I donā€™t know what I wasnā€™t hearing. I have a doctorā€™s appointment Monday morning, I think Iā€™ll have him check my ears too. :blush:

ā€” Begin quote from "ldpayton"

Itā€™s pretty fun to hear it take shape over time, isnā€™t it?

ā€” End quote

Yes it is, especially since weā€™re all so many miles away and most of us have never met.

BTW, if we need to get somebodyā€™s ā€œreputationā€ points pumped up, ā€œacceptingā€ a track gets them up in a hurry. JW has more reputation points than I do now.

ā€” End quote

I didnā€™t know that. Iā€™ll try to return the favor. Can anyone ā€œacceptā€ a track or does it have to be whoever started the project?

Thanks, J.W.

As far as accepting tracks for reputation points, I think the project owner is the only one who can accept a track. Interestingly, you canā€™t pump your own points up by accepting your own tracks.

I think that when the project gets liked, I might get a point or two, so if you donā€™t mind, please ā€œlikeā€ the project.

I made a new mixdown with the Dobro chops and ending. Nice job Larry! I think it adds a bunch. I wasnā€™t sure where to put you on the sound stage, but I liked you pushed way out so that the chops are more noticeable and sound like they are coming from a different location than where the mando chops were. Itā€™s got no effects on it, so if you want me to tweak it, just say the word (I havenā€™t a clue what the proper eq for a dobro chop is :smiley: ). Elsewhere in this mix, I tweaked a few things on the EQ and levels:
kompoz.com/compose-collabora ā€¦ ctId=42952

In case anybody was wondering why I was having a hard time just playing 1 and 3 on bass, hereā€™s a performance that inspires me(watch at least through 1:30 or so) :smiley: :
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnY7UH6z72w[/video]

If you donā€™t mind, please ā€œlikeā€ the project.

ā€” End quote

I just saw what I typedā€¦ how desperate does that sound? :laughing:

Nice mix. I like what you did with it.

hereā€™s a performance that inspires me

ā€” End quote

And I thought my flying fingers were a problem. At least I donā€™t have flying arms!

I just saw what I typedā€¦ how desperate does that sound?

ā€” End quote

We know youā€™re all about the reputation points, Mike.

WHOOPS! Stoopid here was in such a hurry to get going yesterday that when he thought it was uploaded he still had to tick the box for ā€œaccept conditionsā€ so it didnā€™t upload :blush: :blush:
Have corrected that failing so now wait with bated breath for the crit!

The trip to Sydney went well - I wrote a song for my daughter as I drove - of course had to rewrite the illegible scrawl when I got there. But pulled it off and it was well received.
ā€œIf it wasnā€™t for the last minute, nothing would get doneā€¦ā€

I think that when the project gets liked, I might get a point or two, so if you donā€™t mind, please ā€œlikeā€ the project.

ā€” End quote

Yes, that does sound really sadā€¦ :laughing: :laughing:
Never mind Mike, you now have virtual (different to imaginary ?) friends that are far enough away to safely say they like youā€¦ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We have doubled the number of continents represented by our collab!
I added Ozzieā€™s bass track. Nice job Oz! The mixdown can be found here:
kompoz.com/compose-collabora ā€¦ ctId=42952

Nice mix indeed Mike - my compliments to all the other instruments, sounds very sweet. Maybe next Christmas we will hear this blazing out over department store speakers round the world and we can all retire :mrgreen:

I think itā€™s getting pretty complete. Iā€™ll work on some post production stuff. I donā€™t even know what that means, but I heard some studio bigwigs say it and it sounds impressive :smiley: As a result, Iā€™ll start trimming the synch tone off. For future submissions, please use V9 so it will have the synch track for your recording pleasure.

I know there might be another mando track coming from JW (after he heals his finger), so if anyone has something they want to contribute, send it on in. I am not opposed to having multiple ā€œfinishedā€ versions up there. When I do the caroling version, Iā€™ll be slicing and dicing like a ginzu. If desired, I can also make a mix that sounds as traditional as I can make it (narrowing the soundstage, flattening the sound, etc.). Also, I think all the separate tracks are available on Kompoz except perhaps my rhythm guitar. If anyone wants me to post any of the separate tracks so they can mix it, let me know.

Thanks to everyone for the submissions thus far. Itā€™s been a fun project and I am going to try to milk some more fun out of it.

Phew. I just stumbled onto this section of the forum for the first time. Mike and crew, this is amazing stuff. Iā€™m going to have to digest how you put it all together. Mike did explain it in there but it kind of sailed over my head as I skimmed. Again, this was great!