Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jordan Am A Hard Road To Travel

This may not belong here since it’s not something I came up with. I do intend to add to it over time and I may need to ask some questions. :wink: If you guys want to add to it, please do.

Came across this tab for the intro: unm.edu/~aaugust/tabs/jordan_hard_road.html

It seems to be pretty darn accurate. The only thing I can see that might be different is the ending lick, although it sounds the same (to me) while playing along with it. I may try to put it in tabledit (if I can) to make it eaisier to read.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYMEfrxJLho[/video]

This is so fun to play along with! Here is my attempt to show what the tab sounds like played along with the real thing. I know this tab is only meant for the intro, but I’m playing the same thing as much as I can until I get it down.

The video lags at the start and I start noodling around and then have to catch up when it finally starts.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42V2lUVct8[/video]

Good deal. Thanks for sharing that. I love the guitar work in that song.

I have never tried to tab something out in tabledit, so this might be wrong.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I love the guitar work in that song.

— End quote

I agree, there’s so much good stuff in this one!

Classic Norman guitar work. Very nice. I have to put this one on my “to do” list.

Your tabledit work sounds fine, Shawn. I think I would have counted it a little differently, though. I would have used half as many notes per measure (all quarter notes and eighth notes) and doubled the tempo.

Ahh, I see what you’re saying Larry. I guess I have everything in sixteenth notes? :laughing: That explains why it’s so fast at only 120 bpm. I have no idea how to write music like this down. Not really sure how to count everything out.

I have noticed some mistakes in the tab and in the way I’m playing it. Not sure where I got there was an “Am” in there. :confused:

Edited version:

— Begin quote from "TNTaylor414"

Not sure where I got there was an “Am” in there.

— End quote

Maybe from Jordan “am” a hard road to travel? :smiley:

I might be missing something (I often do) but it looks like Norman plays an Am7 for the third chord of the walkdown from C to G. Thanks for the TEF file!

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Not sure where I got there was an “Am” in there.

— End quote

Maybe from Jordan “am” a hard road to travel? :smiley:

— End quote

Haha!

I think that’s an F isn’t it Mike? For some reason I assumed he was walking to an Am and just started playing it like that.

You are correct sir! F over an A root it is. Sorry for the bad info. Like I said, I often miss something :smiley:

When I played the tab it sounded like the Minor should be there I guess it is in all how one hears music . I for one would leave that Am in there it would not detract from the singing one bit and it may give it a scream over a minor. It sounds good to me of course I am but a duf in the realm of music LOL duf defined : (an uncoordinated oaf .)

I changed the tab not to say yours was not correct but I am not real sure what it was I did here.I did slow it down a notch.
I did make all the Am into C Chords [attachment=0]jordan am a hard road.tef/attachment

Just want to say I am having a great time learning this one it is sweet to say the very least. Thank yoou very much for the tab it is fun to play

Ahh, I see what you’re saying Larry. I guess I have everything in sixteenth notes? :laughing: That explains why it’s so fast at only 120 bpm. I have no idea how to write music like this down. Not really sure how to count everything out.

I have noticed some mistakes in the tab and in the way I’m playing it. Not sure where I got there was an “Am” in there. :confused:

Edited version:

— End quote

I have noticed it is much easier to play the minor when learning this song there is not much difference in the C and minor so I am just going to leave it at that . If you play the C chord there it seems real awkward. the fingers just seem out of place doing it with the C. Maybe I need to work on finger position MMMMM? yes !

Good deal welder! I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Have you tried it walking to an F chord? Not sure of the technical name for the chord. You don’t barre the E and B string at the first fret. Just the B string (first fret), the G string (second fret) and the D string (third fret).

No but I will try that I am open to anything in this one it is so neat I love the rhythm it is addictive, of course they all are to me any way, sometimes I keep playing them over and over and the dog even hides . But my tortie cat stays right with me LOL the F might me a F Minor seventh I will look at it harder next time

Fmaj7

— Begin quote from "jbsjr"

Fmaj7

— End quote

we would both be wrong me on the minor and you on the seventh. it is pretty much without a F chord until the last half of the verse .  I ain't real good on hearing something but I can see it, is not either one.

No matter though just play it and have fun doing it . .

I was just naming the chord shawn described. It is a Fmaj7

Yep, I looked it up. That’s the chord I was talking about. Thanks jbsjr.

Sorry about that welder, I must have misunderstood what you were saying. In my revised version of the tab, I changed the Am to the Fmaj7.

I almost hate to admit this but I remembered it from 30 plus years ago from stairway to heaven…. :unamused: