Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

JIngle bells bar 25 and 26

any one having trouble with bar 25 and 26 I know I am it is tricky to get it to fit right , I bet I spend more time on those two than the whole song LOL I am speaking of the new one just posted yesterday ,… any tips tricks you may have to get those two down . ??

Hey Ken,

I don’t know what specifically you’re having trouble with on measures 25 and 26, but that’s a spot where your right and left hands need to be in perfect sync. I found that I have to use the right pick strokes (down/ups) or I’ll just make a mess of it. Follow Ben’s pick directions on those two measures just as they are shown.

If that’s not the problem and it’s your left hand giving you fits, I found that holding down the first fret throughout the whole measure makes it flow much better. If I lift the first finger from the first fret, it seems to wreck the whole lick. Keep that first fret fretted until you get to the next measure and then do the same throughout measure 26.

If you’re already doing all that, it’s most likely a spot that just needs constant repetition starting slow and gradually speeding up until it feels natural and more comfortable. I would practice those two measures over and over until the dog wants out and the wife decides she needs to go shopping!

I’ve been having trouble with Leaning On The Everlasting Arms at, ironically measure 25 since Ben posted that lesson. I’m sure it’s been over a year and I still can’t get that part to flow smoothly.

I don’t know if that was much help to you or anyone else, but that’s what seems to be working for me.

Good Luck!

J.W.

More help than you know It is I just need to repeat it about 12,000 times and I should have it down . I miss some of the nuances of his arrangements but usually get it down . I guess I am just being impatient with me again . I do just fine up to the 25th bar and I just need top listen to it more .Thanks for reminding me

The more I listen the more Ilearn . good advice Thank you .

Man, you are knocking these tunes out faster than Ben can post 'em welder! :laughing:

I haven’t tried this tune yet so I’m no help there. Are you going for the swing chord backup with this? That was a great lesson and those swing chords sound great with it.

Not really it takes me about two to three weeks of steady on to get even close to learning one .I am spending more time listening now instead of trying to figure it out .

— Begin quote from "TNTaylor414"

Man, you are knocking these tunes out faster than Ben can post 'em welder! :laughing:

I haven’t tried this tune yet so I’m no help there. Are you going for the swing chord backup with this? That was a great lesson and those swing chords sound great with it.

— End quote

He used the swing chords on the other instruments but I think it is fairly boiler plate G,C,D and C ,F , and G . he modulates from G to C on the guitar .

I had an instructor tell me that some students spend literally days on a phrase of just one bar. I have been there and done that I get it but it keeps slipping away I call it an idea that does not fit my tiny head. so I have to pound it in . Every one has their preference on music and that also shows up in learning . you might say a person is fighting it . Staying with it will get it done but you must not give up … even the simplest phrase in music can be allusive to some people .

[size=150]Am working on the memory part now but can do it with the tab all the way through. it may take me three times as long as most but when I do get it down it belongs to me . I am looking at at least 30 hours on this one . maybe I try to hard but I can’t seem to stop picking that guitar up until I am satisfied with my progress. for all out there that seems to be having a hard time do not give up it will come and when it does you will feel a sense of accomplishment . It is not the same on all of them some are easier than others this one is a bit harder for me [/size]. ]

— Begin quote from "welder4"

I had an instructor tell me that some students spend literally days on a phrase of just one bar. I have been there and done that I get it but it keeps slipping away I call it an idea that does not fit my tiny head. so I have to pound it in … even the simplest phrase in music can be allusive to some people .

— End quote

That description fits me perfectly! I don’t know how many times I’ve heard Ben or someone else play something and have the tab in front of me and I still play it wrong. It’s like my tiny musical brain just can’t pick up on some of the subtle things they do to make it sound the way they do. A big part of learning how to play is learning how to listen for me. It just does not come natural for me.