Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

J.W.'s Guitar and Mandolin

For anyone interested, I’ve decided to sell my Breedlove Oregon mandolin and Collings D2H-G guitar. :cry: :cry: (yeah, especially the Collings)!

You can hear the mandolin on our Joy to the World collaboration and the guitar in the second break of the Nine Pound Hammer collaboration. If anyone’s interested, please let me know as I’ve also posted them on Mandolin Cafe’s classifieds. You can find the mandolin in “mandolins” as Breedlove Oregon and the guitar in “guitars” as 08 Collings D2H-G.

Thanks and God Bless. Here are photos of each:

What??? I can’t believe you are selling the Collings!

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

What??? I can’t believe you are selling the Collings!

— End quote

It’s not because I want to, but (not to get too personal), my wife and I are trying reach some financial goals and there are things we need, so I decided to sell it and the mandolin. I’ll always have my Gibson (my wife got me that in 1996) which I play more anyway. I don’t “fret” over it as much as I do the Collings.

As for mandolins, I have a really nice Copperhead F model made right here in Ohio by Jason Harshbarger. It’s a true Bluegrass mando with a great chop, so I have all the instruments I need.

These old farmhouses seem to just reach right into your wallet like a teenager, not to mention the tools and equipment. I think we just need to move! :confused:

This guitar would look real good in your hands Mike and sound even better. I’m sure it would love to be back in it’s home state! :wink:

I’d love to have it, but I am at the point of one in/one out and I have a hard time picking one to move out. Besides, if I had the Collings, I’d never play it. I’d just sit there and look at the pickguard. That’s gotta be the best pickguard I have ever seen.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

if I had the Collings, I’d never play it. I’d just sit there and look at the pickguard. That’s gotta be the best pickguard I have ever seen.

— End quote

Funny you mentioned that. I actually do sit and look at it sometimes! :blush: It had a Smoky Mountain Guitars pickguard when I purchased it from them. I saw an ad on the Cafe for some really nice looking hawk’s bill replicas from a guy in Kentucky. I bought the best looking one and when it arrived I got busy and trimmed down the outside edge slightly, rebeveled and polished the edges, and installed it. It actually looks even better in person, like it was specifically made for this guitar. I was able to remove the old one with no damage whatsoever (to the guitar or the pickguard).

Now I’m thinking about pulling the ad. Looking into the future, this may be a regret I don’t want. BTW, my wife wants me to keep it. She says I’ll be sorry. She’s usually right about these things.

Yep I desperately miss the D2HA I sold. Best sounding guitar I’ve owned yet. But with it being a popular model for a lot of years I know I can find another. J.W., does your German topped Collings have a 1 3/4" nut with a big neck or is it standard?

Edit: Never mind, just checked out the ad at Mandolin Cafe. Very good description!