Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Improvising G C and D

I was just practicing improvising with the G major scale over G C and D. While playing over the C chord, I tried using the F# string 4 fret 4. It just didn’t seem to fit every time I tried.

Should this fit? Should it only be used for a passing note? Am I completely wrong?

1 Like

If you like it use it.
If you don’t, don’t.
…but it is in the lesson for a reason…:wink:
It’s not a target/melody note in that chord most of the time, so it’s not an essential requirement IMO.

You might keep in mind that your ear may not be caught up with the sound it creates yet though.
I’m learning a lot of unfamiliar swing stuff right now and many things take time for me to hear how they fit in…(Basically this same lesson was part of my fundamental studies with someone else) It is a beginning lesson of a concept that can be very useful in the long run.

4 Likes

Thanks for the sage answer Dave. :+1: I’ll keep working at this, and see where it goes.

2 Likes

Good luck & have fun!

hey @Treblemaker
F# is the one note that differentiates the G major scale from the C Major Scale.
That is probably the reason it sounds odd to your ear when you play F# over C Major Chord. I do not like that tension either so I never use F# when playing C Major, even though it would not be considered a wrong note because the song is in G major and F# is part of the G major scale

Now, F# does sound good over D major chord right? That is because F# is in the D major scale too. :smiley:
You will find that some notes are more applicable on some chords than others as your progress.

3 Likes

Thanks Frank. Yes, it does. I haven’t tried it yet, (at least, I don’t think I have), but I’m anticipating that a C natural is going to sound funny playing over D.

But, in sticking with how this lesson is taught, I’m going to remain in the confines of G major, and see which direction Ben takes this.

I have total confidence that when all is said and done, this will be an incredible learning experience.

1 Like

Hopefully the C should sound perfectly natural.
The 5 chord is very often played as a 7th…:wink:

2 Likes

Good point. Didn’t think of that.

1 Like

Yeah Dave, I just put on the backup MP3, and C seemed to work fine over the D chord.

3 Likes

Yep, very wise answer from @Fiddle_wood!

2 Likes