Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I kinda want one- 5 course (10 strings)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e5NvQmQsiu8[/video]

A couple questions:
Cool? [I vote yea]
Want one ? [I think I would want one but I suffer from I.A.S (Instrument Acquisition Syndrome) ]
Fake Beard? [priceless]

I like it. I don’t own a multi-scale geometry (fan fret) instrument, but they are interesting. I think I would have problems going back and forth, so I probably won’t ever get one.

It’s a neat looking and sounding instrument. I would liked to have heard some chops.

— Begin quote from ____

I would liked to have heard some chops.

— End quote

Me too, especially with the low C. I agree on the fan frets, I thikn it would screw up my playing.

That thing is really impressive. I didn’t know things like that were being made by enthusiasts.

I guess that’s for jazz or classical players. It doesn’t seem like something a folk musician would need or want because of the difficulty in makig chords. Even if you could make 5-string chords, that low C string would probably muddy up the sound when played in an ensemble.

As a fairly experienced violin player, I’ve occasionally wished I had a lower string. And I could say the same about the guitar when playing in the key of D. They make 7 (and 8) string electric guitars, but I’ve never had a serious urge to get one.

I spent a few minutes trying to find his info on the mando cafe website, but didn’t have the patience to actually find it.

I guess that mando has to have a truss rod, right?

If playing in an ensemble the lower C allows you to play eithter the mandolin or mandola part (if that part exists since CGDA is mandola tuning). I do think this thing is better suited to Irish or classical.

I have never heard of a fan fret nor did i know what it was until i saw this video. How does that work in terms of playing chords and such? What are the reasons for for doing this?

Just curious.

I have played a fan fret guitar very briefly (just trying it out at a guitar store). If I remember correctly it didn’t feel that weird. The amount of “fan” can be larger or smaller amounts and I think the one I played was not that radical. I do think it would mess with you to try to go back and forth between one of those and a “normal” one. In a way, I think it might fit the way my hand lays better than a normal guitar as I moved up and down the neck. My understanding is that it is generally done to allow better intonation and tone with a wider range of tunings available. I think it’s for the same basic principles as that on a piano, where the lower octave strings are longer length. I think the guys that like to tune down alot (like drop C tuning) would benefit as they could better do it without getting floppy on the low strings.

Very interesting, it makes sense how you could get better intonation that way, i have just never heard of that before. As the saying goes, Learn something new every day. I have experimented with various drop tunings but never took it anywhere beyond tinkering.

Thanks

— Begin quote from "verneq"

Fake Beard? [priceless]

— End quote

I just scrolled up to watch the original video again… saw that comment and got a good laugh all over again. There’s advantages to getting old and forgetful. I keep finding these great books and movies that I can’t remember… I get to enjoy them all over again.

Hey I’m not proud, I appreciate the comment 4 months or 4 days. I still think the beard is fake :ugeek: