Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

"How Dry I Am" or

“Footprints in the Snow.” Both deal with a topic that I cared little about until I suffered the consequences. I’m talking about humidity.
Only recently did I hear of a “case humidifier” along with dire warnings of the effects of humidity on a wooden musical instrument. (lucky sousaphone players!)
My beloved home-made banjo now has frets that stick out beyond the neck. They rip into your hand every time you slide up the neck. Ouch! Turns out, the wood dried out and shrank, but frets don’t shrink, hence the protrusions. That sucks.

I did a search on the Forum and came up with some old postings that kinda sorta addressed my concerns, but they were primarily from mando & geetar players. Their instruments aren’t bound together with a lot of metal like a banjo. So I need to hear from banjo players. Do you take precautions regarding humidity?

I like t leave my banjo on a floor stand, so I can simply pick it up and play. When my wife wants to vacuum, it hangs on the wall. So far, no issues, but I’ve only been doing this since maybe April. Prior to that the banjo spent decades in the case. I joined BB in Nov 2019 and that’s when the banjo came out for some fresh air.
Last winter I finally started using a home humidifier because my dog was getting angry with the sparks whenever I would pet him. I have no idea what the relative humidity is in the house.
I know back in the day humidity was a real bugaboo for calfskin heads, but that was then.
Anybody use a case humidifier?
Is the dry air of a forced air furnace in the winter worse for a banjo that the soggy air of an Eastern summer?

4 Likes

Great question ! I was wondering along the same lines but I’m in nor cal way different issue’s as far as the humidity ( thank the lord ! don’t know how you southern folk handle it ) I am partial to the dryer heat and I hope my Banjo is too . If anybody has experience with my kind of weather I am interested as well. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

My daughter works at Yosemite & when she comes back to the Adirondacks she says “This is the only place I know where you have to chew the air before you can breathe it!”
I can imagine her lack of humidity is probably worse on an instrument than too humid, but I am pretty ignorant on the subject.

2 Likes

I try to make sure mine stays between ~40-70 in my cabin. I do have gas heat so I run a room humidifier in the wintertime. It is much more “dangerous” to be too dry than too humid, though the damage usually occurs in the rapid changing of conditions especially when coupled with temperature changes.

5 Likes

Thanks! Now I have somewhere to start!

I guess my next investment is a hygrometer.
But apparently mathematics works well, too.

As for rapid temperature changes, I live in an area where winters routinely show temps of -25F.
I was told if my banjo ever gets cold, (say left in the parked car for a couple hours) leave it in the case for 24 hours after bringing it in the house so it can gradually acclimate.

I am so glad I’m not dealing with calfskin heads!

4 Likes

Just trying to get things into perspective here. Right now the relative humidity outdoors is 89%, the temp is 77 and the dew point is 71 degrees.
If I sit on my porch on this balmy summer night and pick, is it a damaging environment for my banjo?

Or is the real villain very low humidity as found indoors during the winter heating months?

4 Likes

I’m not sure about all that but I know that would just ruin my hippie hair do!! Ben said the dryness is the real problem along with rapid temp change, so I ordered the humidifier packet’s for my case. Just to be on the safe side :wink::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m hearing all kinds of things, like “cut an apple (or a potato) in half. Stick one half in your case. It’s good for a month and never smells bad.”
Another was to put a damp sponge in a plastic bag. poke a couple holes in it then toss it in your case. Or you can buy a case humidifier. I’ve seen them ranging from $3.95 t over $50.
So it does appear dryness is worst then dampness. I may hold off until fall, then get a fresh apple.

3 Likes

Not much to say on this. I’m in Virginia with humid summers (from the hot air coming out of D.C.!). Maybe I’m lazy and stupid. I keep my banjo (nice banjo) on a stand all year. Never had an issue. I do have a Big Dog insulating case cover I use in cold weather if we go out. Guess I’m lucky… Our bass gets some shower room time as suggested by Jason at Camp.

6 Likes

Yep, that reinforces my thinking very low humidity is a bad thing. High humidity is a bit more benign. At least for a banjo.

3 Likes

Now you guys got me nervous! I hate keeping my Banjo locked up like a con in a cell! it’s just so dang perdy I like to look at it when I’m not playin!! but now I’m worried about the dry heat and that’s what I got!!! thank’s just what I needed… More gray hair’s to add to my gray Hair’s… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well, there’s “dry heat” and then their is “Damaging Dry Heat.”
I was at a cousin’s wedding in Vail, CO a few years ago. At the outdoor reception I noticed there was no condensation on my glass of ice water. It was about 80 degrees, my ice water was 33 to 37 degrees yet zero condensation.
Afterwards I discovered the dew point was 16 degrees. I guess there was no humidity at all!.
That’s the kind of dry that will kill a banjo, I’ll bet.
Another thing I noticed out there. Those folks treat elevation and hydration the way we treat snow & cold…with a great deal of respect, but you can enjoy it with proper precautions.
I also learned oxygen is afraid of heights. Once you get over a certain elevation, you can’t carry one suitcase up one flight of stairs without stopping to catch your breath!

In a nutshell, too much humidity will cause the wood to expand & squeeze things tight.
Dryness will shrink the wood until things fall apart. I can see this will definitely be an issue for me in the winter.

4 Likes

Ok that makes me feel a bit better. I’m not on the coast but not to high in elev. so I’m thinking I need a barometer to find out what my rel hum is??? were warm but generally not as dry as the hills. So I should be good. Thanks for talkin me off the ledge I was gonna jump!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Not a barometer. What you want is a hygrometer. (Me too!)
They range in price from about $10 and up.

3 Likes

I stand corrected my friend ! Thank you!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ok I just received my new hydrometer and so far so good! rel hum is holding at 41% at a temp of 85deg F. ben said between 40-70 rel hum and it should be ok. If anybody is interested it cost about 12.00 bucks on Amazon for this peace of mind and got it in two day’s. Now my Banjo will be just rite!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@BanJoe your general knowledge never ceases to surprise me
you must be great at trivia and jeopardy, seriously. Good stuff

3 Likes

Kind words, indeed! I’d gladly trade a couple of my trivia answers for a couple of your hot licks!

(OMG! Where’s that Edit button!!! What I typed is true but not at all accurate!) :confounded::skull_and_crossbones::confounded:

5 Likes

WOW!!! So wrong on so many levels!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mum would be proud of my current circle of friends lol

2 Likes