Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

How do y’all feel about the Yamaha FG9?

I haven’t seen the general discussion around this guitar so I figured I’d share my thoughts. I personally love Yamaha and really like the FG9 specifically the Mahogany, I personally play a FG800 and am really impressed by it too. One of these days I’m gonna buy one for myself (fg9M)

2 Likes

Looks and sounds beautiful in all of the videos I’ve seen. Rather pricey though and definitely a market that I will never be in. BUT, if I were, I’d be taking pause to test it against something like a D-28, the latter being an $800 savings and really (still) the gold standard in acoustics, right? That said, I recently became a Yamaha owner with a new AC3M DLX I bought on Easter weekend. Great guitar and definitely piques my interest in their next “step up” models. Thinking FG5.

3 Likes

I’m with Tony. I just don’t know that I could pay $4k for a guitar with Yamaha on the headstock. I mean, it could literally be the best sounding guitar on the planet, but when I buy, I usually consider resell value somewhere in the equation.

Yamaha hasn’t built a solid reputation for bluegrass tone AFAIK. Not sure you’d ever get your money back out of it.

1 Like

I’m not a guitar player (yet), but I talked to Daniel Epperson at the Georgia camp about the FG9. He said it had a great big bluegrass sound, but that he preferred other Yamahas for their versatility. He said that Jake Stogdill purchased the Yamaha LL26R for himself for the same reason. But this is all third hand info. Probably a good idea to call Jake at the General Store for first hand insight. With all that said, I still find myself thinking about the FG9.

Honest Ben, checking in. They’re great guitars, but for bluegrass I’d put the same money toward a Gallagher, Santa Cruz, or something similar.

5 Likes