Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Here comes Wayne Henderson and Robin Kessinger

That sounds like the title to an album from around 1962. It would have a picture of both Wayne and Robin bursting into a crowded room with guitars in hand.

But that is not what I am talking about. This Saturday, I will be spending 3 hours in a workshop with these two gentlemen. I often have lots of questions about technique and performing, but this time I think I will just keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open. After the afternoon workshop, I get to sit down to dinner with them, chat a while and then watch them play in a house concert that evening. It should be a lot of fun.

I’ll post more info after the event.

How awesome is that? That should be a great event!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Wow… have fun! Robin looks like a fun guy.

I expect full page report! :wink:

just kidding, can’t wait to hear about it!

I met Wayne once, about 15 years ago. Wicked nice guy. He was doing a 3 week long luthier class at Augusta in Elkins WV and I was there for the week long Blue Week classes.

It’s fun watching him play, he’s tremendous. But I can’t imagine many people learning much from him because he plays flat-picked music using is thumb and first finger instead of a flatpick. Same thing Mark Knopfler does, more or less. I guess you don’t have to worry about losing your picks all the time, like I do. But it seemed like a harder way to go to me.

— Begin quote from "Jim_G"

I met Wayne once, about 15 years ago. Wicked nice guy. He was doing a 3 week long luthier class at Augusta in Elkins WV and I was there for the week long Blue Week classes.

It’s fun watching him play, he’s tremendous. But I can’t imagine many people learning much from him because he plays flat-picked music using is thumb and first finger instead of a flatpick. Same thing Mark Knopfler does, more or less. I guess you don’t have to worry about losing your picks all the time, like I do. But it seemed like a harder way to go to me.

— End quote

It funny, back when I studied classical guitar (learning flamenco style), I would often run fast lines using a very similar technique. I would alternate between my thumb § and middle finger (m) on my right hand rather than my first (i) and second (m) finger on my right hand. I’ve toyed with the idea of using a thumb pick (a’ la Chet Atkins, Wayne Henderson…etc.) but it seemed to be a side step direction in my development as a flatpicker at this point. Still, there is lots to learn from fellows of this caliber, line development, phrasing, joy…

Well the workshop was a blast and the concert was fun.

At the workshop, we divided into two small groups. My group had 5 guys in it. We worked with Wayne for 2 hours and then switched over to work with Robin for another 2 hours. Both Wayne and Robin taught some nice tunes (more on this later).

The evening house concert had about 50 folks there, both Wayne and Robin were fun to listen to and both told some jokes. Here is an example of Wayne telling a joke followed by Robin, Wayne, and David Bromberg (who was at the concert and sat in) playing Turkey in the straw. The fellow who runs these concerts lent a few of his very valuable pre-war Martins to be played. In this recording you hear a very nice current Martin along with a 1937 sunburst Martin Dread and a 1942 HD-28 (bone).

Wayne plays like a machine and never misses a note while Robin is more creative yet always follows the melody and David is the one playing outside the melody with more improvisation.

Enjoy

Good descriptions on their playing. I think I could tell who was playing based on your explanation. I liked the chords in the second half of the B part break by Robin (about 2:40). It was a nice departure from normal. I also liked the bass line rhythm work during Wayne’s opening B part break about 2:00 (I’m guessing that was Robin as well). Wayne really pops his notes on lead. He don’t need no stinking amp! Good stuff!

I was going to joke that you should record the workshop for us, doc, but you actually did it! Thanks for remembering us.

Thanks for recording that doc, that was great!

Did you get a chance to play any of those guitars?