Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Having a weird thought about tuners

Have a guitar I love to play (Martin SC-13e) but I really want to glitz it up some (short of the $8000 version from Martin’s Custom Shop.) I swapped out the original strap buttons for a set of gold Shaller strap-locks. I really like the color combination with the koa wood. (Also removed the pick guard. (I’m mostly a finger picker.) Anyway, I’m thinking I’d like to swap out the tuners. But what I want to put on instead is a set of Rickard High Ratio Banjo Tuners… I saw Dan Erlewine’s Iris with tuners like that and I really like the look.

So help me out with my thought process. First - Cons? Why would this be a bad idea? (I already know it’ll be expensive. I can live with that.) What I’m really looking for are reasons this would be a poor choice. Mechanics, stability, those type of things. Or even just too weird a look?

And Pros? Would you think this would be good? Easier tuning? Would that model be be an adequate ratio for guitar? I know Waverly makes a set for guitar. Very expensive and a lower ratio than the Rickards.

Don’t know. Think I’d like it. Change my mind!

2 Likes

They might be more difficult for string changes and big tuning changes (DADGAD), but other than that, I can’t think of a problem. Old OM18s had them. Do check the thickness of the headstock and the range of the tuners before purchasing.

I don’t have experience with those tuners, but I did upgrade my Custom Shop D-18 to Waverlys about a year ago. I love their look and everything about the way they work - definitely an upgrade from the original tuners. One of the buttons did get stripped out on me (low E string) and wouldn’t tune anymore in a jam at IBMA a few weeks ago! Thankfully I could show it to Jake Workman the next day and he pointed me to someone in the exhibit hall who could glue it for me. I don’t think that is a common problem. So there’s a plug for Waverlys - sorry I have no experience with Rickards. And certainly not banjo tuners! :blush:

3 Likes

I actually came across a video deep in the archives (yes, I explore the archives from the pre-Mason forum days :joy:) where you were playing a banjo…

5 Likes

Ohhhhhh dear

4 Likes

I have Rickard tuners on all three of my banjos—a resonator Nechville Classic, an Open back Ome Oracle, and a custom short scale Music City Belle from Dave Dillard for camping trips. I’m very pleased with them, and did the swap myself on the Ome and the Nechville. But I’d worry about a couple things on a guitar. The Rickards upgrade the standard 4:1 ratio tuners to 10:1 on a banjo, but I believe most guitars have 14:1 ratio (but I could be mistaken). So you’d be heading in the wrong direction for finer tuning. Also, banjo tuners sticking out the back cause banjos to rest on the tuners for many guitar stands—that’s why string swing hooks are designed differently for guitars and banjos. Just my two cents worth of advice. Good luck on the endeavor.

2 Likes

I’ve got Rickard tuners on both of my banjos and D’Addario auto trim tuners on both of my guitars and all three of my dobros. For the price you just can’t beat the functionality and time saving.

I don’t see them in Banjo Ben’s store but I’m sure he can get them. They’re really affordable!

3 Likes

The D’Addario Auto Trim tuners list an 18:1 gear ratio in their data. Sperzel makes a similar product. Both can be found on-line for $65-70. They offer the feature of clamping down on the string, thus eliminating the “luthier’s knot”, the multiple wraps around the post, and the finger-stabbing string end, and automatically cut off the excess string (hence the "auto trim name). Reviews of the tuners report full string changes in 5 minutes, and the majority of the reviewers were very positive about their experience replacing and using them.

1 Like