Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Guitars for Bluegrass

Funny I didn’t try to figure them all out but I tried to figured out which one was the BlueRidge 180. I picked it out with no problem must be that rosewood and full size box.

So did Jim ever get his guitar??? Interested in hearing about it, I have just put down my checkbook and let it set for a spell because I am so dang cornfused on these gitfiddles I don’t know where to turn :mrgreen: Finally got the money saved up and now having a heck of a time making up my mind. Played a real nice D18 used at GC and it seemed real nice but have been looking at the hd28 12’r for so long thought my mind was made up. But my all time favorite would be a Gallagher DW trouble with all these guitars is you just can’t find a place to try em out!!! Well let us know how the new axe is Jim what one did you get?

Hey guys I gotta tell you I just returned from a store that carries a wall full of fine guitars and I played what I think in my limited knowledge is the best guitar I ever played, went in to look at Martin’s and they were nice and the Taylors were nice and so many others but then I picked up a Collings CW and I was blown away,what a guitar!!
This thing just sings and the workmanship is perfect, light as a feather and just sweeeeeeeet. I think I finally found my guitar here, I was a little shy of enough funds so I had to hang it up but plan on going back, think I will wait just a tad longer and get one that makes me excited rather than just satisfied. :smiley:

Hey Jerry,
I’m glad you found one you are excited about. Collings makes some wonderful guitars. I haven’t played one of their large soundhole guitars. I’ll have to check it out. Ben had a varnish Collings that he sold for a friend, and it reportedly was THE guitar. Not too long ago I think he was selling something like a D1A. It might be worth a check in with Ben to see if he knows of any Collings his friends want to sell. He has friends with nice guitars. It might take a bit to hear back from him as he is still pretty busy.

Thanks Mike, yes I definitely fell in love there, only reservation is taking it out all the time, problem with a 5k guitar is the first ding is really gonna upset me i know… :mrgreen: I played a bunch this past week wavering back and forth and this one and the new 2012 Martin D18 both grabbed me, spread of about 3k here. Can’t have both, so it’s a decision that’s tough to make. I still love the 12 fret sound but now find the necks on the vintage style guitars a bit of a hand full for me, I have pretty average to small hands, not those spider fingers some guys are lucky to have. The large necks make the palm of my hand were the fingers meet it get to much wood unless I really hold my thumb way down on the neck, which I know is proper but I don’t always play proper. The neck on the D18 is slimmer and faster to me much more comfortable than the GE version.
For my level of ability the Eastman I have is enough really just always had a longing for a American Made guitar, nothing wrong with the imports some are extremely nice guitars but my personal feelings enter into it and I just want USA.
My truck, car, guns,fly rods and now my guitar need to be home grown. You know like Sam says Guts Glory Ram! :laughing:
Kinda like showing up to a pig hunt in a Prius…just don’t fit, Bluegrass is our music so it needs one of our guitars…now which one, my misses says Martin, but between you and me she’s kinda tight on the finances, me I am kind of the other way spend it if you got it!
Well see how it turns out but she’ll most likely win out. Jerry

Here’s something a bit different I came across today:
gruhn.com/photo/AA8727.jpg

A 1971 D-35 S, EXF for $2250. A 12 fret slotted D-35. I wonder how it sounds (I’ve never played one). I am not crazy about the enclosed tuners on a slotted head, but other than that it looks great. I’d be sure to ask about the intonation as many from that time frame have issues, but other than that, it looks like a potentially cool and fairly unique guitar.

Hey Mike and all, kept looking like everyone does I guess and stumbled on a guitar I didn’t even know existed, I have always loved the HD28’s and they were the right price but the one reservation I had was the nut width of 11/16, I have had three guitars I got rid of because of this in the past, my present guitar has the 1 3/4 I really like. So I kept looking at the 28’s wishing it would work but holding off then I find a HD28MP what’s that? well a HD28 but with a 13/4 bone nut, Madagascar Rosewood and a Performing artist neck profile!! Finally I am going to pop for this one like my dream guitar and at 2900 not way out there, love those exotic Bourgieos, and Santa Cruz and the Collings to but this has it all for about 1300 bucks less, granted it’s a factory guitar but sure sounds terrific. Glad I kept on shoppin…Jerry

Well get down! That’s awesome. I too am a 1 3/4" guy. I sure love that Madagascar as well! I haven’t played an HD28MP, but I have that neck on one guitar, and it’s really nice. Sounds like a great combination. I wouldn’t get too hung up on a “factory” guitar… I have guitars from Martin with hand shaped necks and CNC’d necks, and both processes make nice necks. They still finish the process by hand either way. If I were building a guitar shop, I think I’d prefer to have CNC’d parts. The point I am getting to is don’t think any less of your guitar. It sounds like a fantastic one to me!

No Jerry , I haven’t purchased a guitar yet. Been playing my fathers '86 D35. That’s what makes it so hard to choose. I do believe I will purchase D15 after the holiday though. Thanks for asking.

After ayear of not playing the Yamaha because it give up on me. Bridge problems . I purchased a Martin DRN1 . This is a nice entry level martin for the money. Split sapele front back and sides. good tone through out . Comes with a Martin hard case too.

Good deal! Glad you are back to picking!

I really missed it . Glade to be back on the right track too. Now to save fer the life membership . Funny store my dad and I tried to fix it with no look. To cheap of a guitar to pay to have it fixed. My dad gave me a Gibson ripper base vintage 1976 in original case. I asked my dad if he minded if I trade it. He said no your not going to get much maybe $200 for it. So I went down to my local guitar center and came out with the martin and cash !:slight_smile:

I really missed it . Glade to be back on the right track too. Now to save fer the life membership . Funny store my dad and I tried to fix it with no look. To cheap of a guitar to pay to have it fixed. My dad gave me a Gibson ripper base vintage 1976 in original case. I asked my dad if he minded if I trade it. He said no your not going to get much maybe $200 for it. So I went down to my local guitar center and came out with the martin and cash !:slight_smile:

Alright! I love it when I can trade something for something I want more.

I just got a HD28-V and I love it. It has the pre-war bracing and an awesome sound. The d-18 has a wider nut that might be better for picking but I was sold on the HD28 after playing a wall full of Martins.

Welcome to the forum Donald. That’s a great guitar choice. The 28V I played a bit had a wonderful warm sound. I hope you enjoy it!

Congrats on the new guitar!! Sounds like a winner,I know how great it feels when you finally find the right one. I searched and tried out and bought and returned and traded for three years until I finally got my Bourgeois Vintage D and now I don’t even look at guitars much anymore. When you get the One, you know it, may take a while but the hunt was half the fun………Enjoy that new Axe……Jerry :mrgreen:

One thing that I suggest about buying a guitar is PAY ATTENTION TO SCALE and nut size. If you have smaller hands, I suggest getting a short scale (usually 24.7"-24.9") and nut with or 1-11/16 or 1-22/32". I know many people say long scale is best for bluegrass, but I disagree. The thought is that a long scale increases the volume allowing you to more easily heard when playing with mandolins, banjos, etc. Long scales guitars do allow you to pluck harder without causing string buzz, which means a louder voice; but that should not be the deciding factor for buying your guitar. Comfort and playablity should be #1. In my experience, the shorter scales, while slightly lower in volume, easily can be used as bluegrass guitars. Actually, most guitars can be used as a bluegrass guitar. I would suggest an OM or Dread (sloped shoulder or regular). The main thing is that your hand fits your guitar, and is comfortable to play.

I have heard many people say that there is not a big enough difference in the short scale vs long scale to make it harder to play. FALSE. Those comments usually come from people with larger hands, or with so much experience that is makes up for the difference. If you have smaller hands, even normal hands, the long scale can be tough. People get so caught up on tradition and reviews that it makes it hard for them to decide for themselves. Especially when they are just starting to learn and have to rely on other peoples opinions when deciding on buying a guitar.

Another thing I would suggest to pay attention to is neck girth. I once bought a low profile neck thinking that the skinnier girth would make it easier to play … nope. It actually made it harder. I found the neck was not thick enough (in girth) to get a good leverage for pressing down on the strings. A thicker neck (traditional size, not vintage) allows me to make much cleaner chords and keeps my hand from getting as tired.

Obviously this all depends on the size of you hand. You will eventually have to make the decision for yourself. The main thing I want to get across in my post is to not dismiss short scale guitars for bluegrass. They are just as versatile as the long scales, and will make for a much more enjoyable play for a lot of people.

I’m a beginner too, and have been chasing the longtime dream of playing the guitar for about a year. Personally, I decided my commitment might be stronger if I invested in a nice guitar and I might not get discouraged by trying to play one that was difficult to play. Having said that I started with a Martin 000-18. Expensive, beautiful, and sounds good. Since my first purchase I now have four. The Martin, Taylor Mini, and two Zager’s. I like them all. By the way, check the Zager Web site. You might find their approach to guitar playability interesting.

I just reviewed my reply to you and , sorry, but I think I got off subject. I’m not experienced enough to make a recommendation on which guitar you should get for Bluegrass. My response was more about buying something a little more expensive to aid in your commitment.

Good luck, and I’m sure you will get several helpful responses as to what is the best guitar for the style you want to play

1 Like