Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Guitar Purchase Recommendation

While I continue working on the banjo, I want to also get started on the guitar beginner track, but I need to purchase an instrument. I can’t afford something as expensive as a Taylor or a Martin. I can probably spend around $700-$800. This would have to be my “forever” guitar, so I want to be smart about it. Can anyone recommend something?

3 Likes

Hi Dean, I am no expert when it comes to guitar’s but I am sure @BanjoBen or @Jake could bring you up to speed with a few suggestions.

Check out the General Store to see what’s available

https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/guitars

2 Likes

One word… Eastman. Can’t recommend these “budget” guitars highly enough!! I’ve had several people think mine was a Martin before I told them otherwise :joy:

7 Likes

I think you’d be great with anything Banjo Ben sells for that price range :+1:

9 Likes

I’ve actually never tried a good guitar. Mine is like $140 :joy: I’m kinda scared to try a good one, my poor wallet has suffered enough. Plus I’m about to buy a new banjo haha.

4 Likes

Ditto, Eastman is the way to go, or Yamaha too. And like was mentioned, anything I carry in that price range is really worth it.

9 Likes

@BanjoBen Do you ever carry Blueridge guitars?

1 Like

I have an Eastman that’s awesome but I also just went in and played a Yamaha FG800 and it was going for $219 and it was awesome for that price. Not sure you’ll want it when you play the Opry but it was a fun guitar to play for the price.

4 Likes

Nvm
Just saw y’all do carry them lol
I’ve always loved blueridge guitars.
My brother has a Custom Martin D-28 and a standard dreadnought blueridge that sound shockingly close.
Guess Eastmans would probably compare to those too🤷🏻‍♂️

5 Likes

Yeah and I go back and forth b/t those two brands depending on the individual guitar. I think Eastman has an overall better fit/finish but that doesn’t mean they consistently sound better.

6 Likes

I love the Eastman dreadnoughts, and prior to Ben’s Texas camp last year, I would have agreed with all of the Eastman recommendations here with no extra comment. However, Jake brought a Yamaha Red Label FG3 (I think that was the model) and it was incredible. It had a really big sound, especially for the price. Now, it’s possible it was just that specific guitar. I haven’t played any other Red Labels since. I just remember the impression it made. Definitely check one out before you make your decision.

4 Likes

Eastman E3DE. It will not dissapoint. I recently purchased an Eastman from the store and it is everything everyone has said. I called the store before I purchased it, just to kind of talk it out with them. I also did a good bit of research, ie: where do they make them, where do they get the wood, what pros play Eastmans, and checked out the IG page. Overkill I’m sure, but that’s how I’m wired. Good luck to you, it’s a fun journey.

7 Likes

I have been impressed with the Yamahas as well. My gut tells me Eastman might have the edge, but I bet if you got five of each lined up and ranked them, you might not end up with the same brand 1 through 5.

5 Likes

Is Eastman the same company that makes band and orchestra instruments? When I was a band director, I was forced too purchase some of their instruments and was very disappointed with the quality - especially their woodwind instruments. In addition, nearly all of their instrument cases fell apart during the first year of use by my students. Now, that was a while ago, so perhaps they’ve stepped up their game some since then.

1 Like

A timely thread! A young man from my guitar group is ready for his first keeper. I talked to Justin at the store and the above recommendations seem where we are headed.

3 Likes

Yes, same company but completely different division. I highly recommend their acoustic instruments.