Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Guitar for kids

My 7 year old has decided he wants to learn the guitar. I took him to Guitar Center and let him sit down with some accoustics. The 3/4 size seems to fit him and in that catergory, I was most impressed with the Baby Taylor, Martin LX1 and Martin LXM. A friend of mind, who is a very accomplished player, offered to go over there and try them out. His opinion was that the action was a little to high and the tension was too great due to the smaller size. He didn’t think it would be appropriate for kids trying to learn.

Now, Martin’s website says they come with Medium PB strings. Will going to say Silk/Steel and a light gauge help or is it even worth the time?

I have read many reviews on line saying they are fine for kids starting out and much better than the Target guitar kit. Any thoughts on getting a quality first instrument that wont drive him nuts?

Awesome!!! I have a few thoughts. As far as a super-duper smaller guitar, the Taylor GS-Mini is incredibly cool. It is an instrument that sounds great, plays great, and they are well made. I am not sure, it might a little bigger than some you were looking at, but I highly suggest checking one out. It’s a guitar worth keeping and playing after he has grown up. They would make a great “couch” guitar. I have almost bought one, and I have absolutely no need for it, but I just liked it.

Second thought: As much as one might not like it, he’ll be growing quickly over the next few years. Getting a decent but not killer guitar may not be all bad. There are often new and used Yamaha (and similar) 3/4 size guitars available. I have set up a Yamaha with lights and low action, and it played great. You are likely going to need a little setup work done on just about any new guitar, especially inexpensive ones.

I was surprised the LXM comes with mediums, but I guess it does make sense with the shorter scale length. Going to light gauge will make a difference. It will make the strings less rigid and it will also slightly lower the action (due to less string tension). The big thing is get the action set low and perhaps it would feel great even with mediums.

Just to throw something else in there for consideration: For a super easy and fun instrument play, a Ukulele is tough to beat. A uke is very easy to fret, and learning is sped by being limited to 4 strings. The chord shapes convert over to guitar as they are tuned similar to the top four strings of a guitar (different notes, but the same relative tuning). I bought a neighbor a Makai Concert Uke for about $100 that has a solid top, and it’s an absolute blast to play. I bought that one from Elderly’s. I have a Baritone Uke, and the tuning on that is identical to the highest pitch four strings on a guitar. I have some nieces that are 7 and 5 and I am going to get them some concert ukes soon. I can say that starting with a uke might be the easiest way to learn something guitar-ish, but unless it’s what he wants to do, it wouldn’t help. If he isn’t motivated to play it, it won’t do anyone any good.

By the way, a basic setup on a guitar shouldn’t cost too much, maybe in the $25 to $45 range.

I would not go smaller than the 15/16 size I realize the child is seven but in two years they will be nine and big enough for a full size , the 15/16 will do for any one , I bought the big Baby tailor for my 14 year old she is kinda large for her age but the guitar fits her very well .The baby Taylor is almost as small as a ukelele. We are talking around three to four hundred for these small guitars, the big baby is around $429 the baby is $300

— Begin quote from "citadelpilot"

My 7 year old has decided he wants to learn the guitar. I took him to Guitar Center and let him sit down with some accoustics. The 3/4 size seems to fit him and in that catergory, I was most impressed with the Baby Taylor, Martin LX1 and Martin LXM. A friend of mind, who is a very accomplished player, offered to go over there and try them out. His opinion was that the action was a little to high and the tension was too great due to the smaller size. He didn’t think it would be appropriate for kids trying to learn.

Now, Martin’s website says they come with Medium PB strings. Will going to say Silk/Steel and a light gauge help or is it even worth the time?

I have read many reviews on line saying they are fine for kids starting out and much better than the Target guitar kit. Any thoughts on getting a quality first instrument that wont drive him nuts?

— End quote

check out the Big baby taylor it is made right with the GS mini and is 15/16 scale and should fit kids very well . the baby iis just to small you might as well have a ukelele. price wise not much difference from the baby to the big baby 420.00 at guitar cennter and the baby is 399

That may not directly answer your question, but have you thought about yourself too? A kid practicing guitar isn’t always rainbows and butterflies. There is really a lot of options you can go for, but there is one thing I would recommend you from my own experience - don’t buy a loud guitar for your kid. Stay away from dreadnought or other full size models (you can check out some acoustic models here). Or otherwise get an electric one - you can always lower down the amp volume,