Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Guitar Centers Martin MMV

Guitar center has a Martin made for them that is called the MMV. It is supposed to be a d-28 with out all the fancy trim. and its in the $1400 range. Has anyone play one? I am looking to upgrade to a martin from a yamaha f335. The price is right and it sounds killer too. My father plays a 1986 martin d-35 and 1967 gidson dove. Sure makes it tough on me to make my mind up.

Jim,
Yes, I have played one. I suggested it to another forum member on the old site. I compared it to a HD-28 and a D-28. Of the individuals I was playing, it had the best tone, and was the loudest. The action was to my liking. The trim was plain, but I liked it. It was sitka spruce over indian rosewood. One thing I did note was that it was from the custom shop. Perhaps that could be a reason for the superior tone and volume. It also may have had scalloped braces, I didn’t think to check at the time.
I almost bought it because it was such a fine value but I literally have no need for it. At the time there was a sale and it was like $1321. The one I played was GC in Fort Worth. If you want me to check to see if that one is still available let me know.
Best of luck,
mike

Thanks, I drive a truck OTR and have played a few. I have found one I like in FT Wayne,IN . I should be able to pick it up sone I hope. :smiley:

Its not quite a D-28 minus the trim. The bracing is different as in “A frame” instead of standard X and its got a M/T neck joint instead of the dovetail. Actually closer to a D-15 structually. Not that that’s a bad thing. Just different.

The Custom MMV was the first Martin I bought several years ago. I picked the best one out of the three that GC had in stock. It sounded good and I was really proud of it but it was no D-28. I sold it after a year to buy another Martin and have bought and sold quiet a few others since then before settling on the two I have now, a D-18V and a '78 HD-28.

As I stated, its a nice guitar but for $1400 I’d be looking for a used standard series D-18 or 28. Just my opinion from my own personal experience. Good luck hunting and enjoy whatever you get.

Thats what I was looking for some one who have owned one. All I could find out from GS that is was a d-28 with out all the fancy trim. Thanks for the input. I thank I will look around. JIm

Hey Jim,
If you ever get through Nashville, Gruhn (www.gruhn.com) has an interesting one. Stock number AA8592. It’s a 2006 Martin custom shop dreadnaught. It’s Adirondack over Mahogany. Listed as near mint for $1250. On paper, that sounds tough to beat for the price (if I remember correctly, an Adirondack top adds about 600 to the price of Martin custom shop guitars). For what it’s worth, I have bought guitars from them based on a description over the phone and I have not been disappointed. They have a generous return policy, but I’ve never needed it. Maybe the guitar is just not great (I think Billy or Glen will give a candid description, they have talked me out of guitars before). I would ask about the nut width and string spacing to make sure it’s nothing odd, but other than that, it sounds like a no-brainer. It may not hang around long.

Hey there, I have owned an MMV for the past 4 or 5 years. Aside from the one I own I have played 3 or 4 others and each has sounded spectacular. I have read alot about them being compared to D28’s and there seems to be mixed reviews. I have compared my MMV to D28 and was not impressed by the D28 compared to the MMV. That’s just me. And also keep in mind, some guitars are gems others aren’t, so it could have been that the D28 I played was for one reason or another not a great guitar- but who knows. Also keep in mind there are a couple of these up on Reverb between 800-1200. I got mine for 900 with a hardshell case. I would say, go for it! You will not be disappointed. I am always pleased with the tone, every time I pick it up it is like a treat. If you plan to upgrade at some point to a D28 or D35 this will be a great mid-step to it. I can’t recommend the MMV enough, pull the trigger on it! If you have any more specific questions let me know. The bass it awesome! It will give you a clear tone built for bluegrass and fiddle tunes, It has great articulation, want it to whisper and it will but dig into it with your pick and it packs a punch! I also play finger style on it and it does well with that too.

3 Likes