Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Greetings from the UK

Hello there,

Nice website you got here. Thought I’d sling a post up here on the forum and Introduce myself.

My name’s Ken and I live in sunny England. I’ve been playing guitar about 10 years in various forms, I should be a lot better than I am though. Recently I pretty much stopped playing the electric after I discovered how much fun playing with my fingers was.

I’ve been in various bands throughout my time playing guitar and 8 months ago I got a phonecall from a chap I had met at a gig asking if I could play banjo because his band had to part ways with their player. So I thought “I’ll give this a go” and went out and bought one and I’ve absolutely fallen in love with it, can’t put the thing down. It’s been an absolute blast learning it so far.

So, how did y’all get started playing?

Ken

Hi Ken! I was just in England for the month of October, what a great country, plan on visiting again as soon as possible.

I started off as a drummer, played in rock bands, country bands, anything to make a living. I’ve always been a frustrated guitar player, and recently fell in love with the mandolin. Just like you said, haven’t been able to put it down. My wife plays guitar and we spend a lot of time learning new songs and entertaining our friends and families.

I know you’re gonna love it here, Ben is a great teacher and he’ll keep you challenged!
jim

Where about’s did you visit?

I’m on the south coast, it’s lovely.

Yeah I’m finding the website brilliant, a total bargain and it’s already improved my technique and the arrangements are loads of fun. May have to blow the dust of my Martin and learn some of that flatpicking too while I’m here.

— Begin quote from "kennifbones123"

— End quote

My wife spent the Fall at Harlaxton College in Grantham, I stayed there for a month.
We spent a lot of time in London, spent a weekend in Liverpool, visited York, Nottingham, and the Southwell workhouse.
We also went to the Oktoberfest in Munich, and spent a long weekend in Paris.
She did a lot of traveling while she was there for almost 4 months. I’m ready to go back, I loved London!

So, are you around Southampton? Have you visited the States?
jim

— Begin quote from "jiminkansas"

— Begin quote from "kennifbones123"

— End quote

My wife spent the Fall at Harlaxton College in Grantham, I stayed there for a month.
We spent a lot of time in London, spent a weekend in Liverpool, visited York, Nottingham, and the Southwell workhouse.
We also went to the Oktoberfest in Munich, and spent a long weekend in Paris.
She did a lot of traveling while she was there for almost 4 months. I’m ready to go back, I loved London!

So, are you around Southampton? Have you visited the States?
jim

— End quote

London is a wonderful city Jim, plenty to see.

I lived in southampton for three years but I’ve just moved to Brighton.

I have only visited New York which I absolutely loved while I was there. My girlfriend is currently travelling across the states as we speak and I shall be meeting her in New York to get married. Im excited to be going back but very jealous that they get to see the deep south. But apparently she is buying me a new banjo as a wedding gift so that should be adequate compensation I think ha!

— Begin quote from "Banjo Ben"

What a WOMAN!!! :smiley: :smiley:

— End quote

Yeah I’m a lucky man!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, have fun in New York.
What part of the south is she visiting?
jim

— Begin quote from ____

jealous that they get to see the deep south

— End quote

Haha…That’s something you’ll only hear a bluegrasser say!

Thanks man, It should be a blast.

She’s doing Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.