Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Good budget resonator?

I’m looking for a good quality, budget (preferably sub- $1000) resonator guitar. Any suggestions? Prefer a flat fretboard, as it’ll be used for slide.

2 Likes

Are you looking for a roundneck or squareneck? I’ve heard the Phil Leadbetter signature highly recommended if you’re looking for a squareneck.

2 Likes

unless I can try a squareneck, probably a round neck since that’s what I’m used to. Not really opposed to a squareneck, just need to find somewhere locally that has one to try.

How’s that for a wishy washy answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

It just depends on the style you want to learn. If you like bluegrass dobro as played by Jerry Douglas, Rob Ickes, Phil Leadbetter, etc. then you’re going to want a squareneck. You can, however, convert a roundneck to a squareneck with a nut converter.

2 Likes

If you’re looking to play with a tone bar, you want a squareneck. If you’re wanting to play with a bottleneck slide or similar, a round neck is common since you can fret like a regular guitar. Converting is possible but not really a good good idea since it will really pull the neck hard, and the cone is usually set lower in a round neck.

3 Likes

I’m looking to play mostly delta blues, gospel, and some bluegrass. So, it sounds like a round neck would be best. Slide on my ring finger or pinky (haven’t got a preference yet).

5 Likes

I don’t carry those but I can probably get one for you.

4 Likes

I’d be very interested to hear your suggestions and what you can get in Ben. Prefer to buy it here than elsewhere.

2 Likes

Best thing to do is call the store and talk with @AdamAsh about options: 833-226-5623

3 Likes

Sounds good, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve got a Regal RD-40MS roundneck, and a Regal RD-40CHS squareneck. I’m very happy with both of them. They are manufactured by Saga Instruments, the maker of Blueridge Guitars and Kentucky Mandolins. I would imagine that would mean @BanjoBen can get them. I think they are a great budget entry into resonators.

I didn’t want to have to decide between the blues and bluegrass, so I got both!

2 Likes