Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ginseng Sullivan

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I’m still amazed at how well josh’s voice carries over the instruments. That and his lead lines too.

— End quote

This is a lot of what people miss when they jam/play/sing…dynamics. If you listen to really good musicians play they leave room not only musically but dynamically for the focal point of the performance at the moment.

I learned a great lesson in this early on, back when I ran sound live and owned a studio. The difference in the amount of work you need to do between a higher level band and one that should probably stay in the parking lot is HUGE. With the higher level musicians you can basically set the mikes and let them perform. With the others you are forced to let them sound like crap or constantly operate knobs/sliders to create room for the focal point of the moment.

The guys in this video know how ot use dynamics to create the correct mix regardless of the circumstance. Good musicians can understand the difference in how their instrument/voice caries in different types of humidity in the air, etc. and compensate for it to produce the desired effect/mix.

It’s not rocket science… just paying attention, a good ear, and the willingness to be a team player for the overall good.

This is great Larry! Thanks for putting it up. I’m going to attempt to get the intro up to speed. That break looks pretty tough, he’s all over the neck on this one, but there are some great licks. I like the chords on this one, fun to play.

Yeah, the break has a lot going on. As I’m working through it I’m finding spots where I didn’t tab exactly like Josh plays (things like slides that should be hammer-ons), so use at your own risk.

I just use the the tag from Blue railroad train and it fits perfectly for me you do have some lee way on the tag because it is the end of the song and many people embellish it there . Another note here "if I did not proof read my posts they would be totally unreadable. It would be hard enough to make sense out of them when they are proof read. The main thing is to keep on picking and grin every now and again . That is some fast picking and it will take me some time to get any where near that speed .

I found some clues about how Josh was being recorded and about why he’s out in front of the stage.

In this recording of Bartender’s Blues you can see two microphones. Seems like a pretty nice set up for an audience recording.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DHvT7ayNaY[/video]

As to why he’s in front of the stage, I found this explanation:

— Begin quote from ____

On July 15, on the Main Stage at Grey Fox, the sound system stopped just as Josh Williams began to sing an incredibly touching version of “Honky Tonk Angel.” In good humor, the band simply came off of the stage and moved closer to the huge audience. The audience left their chairs and moved forward to hear Josh sing and to cheer him on. When the sound was turned back on, the crowd was reluctant to let him return to the stage. It was a memorable moment and totally endeared Josh to the appreciative crowd.

— End quote

Cool tune! Thanks for shedding additional light on things. I bet Josh made some of big fans that day.

Johnny Bond had one out years ago called "Bartenders blues " ? I go to work about 8 o’clock and I don’t get thru til four , I always tell a funny joke with every drink I pour . I like my boss and I like my job and I don’t mind working nights , but in between those swinging doors sure comes some funny sights . (just a real old song that I grew up with . The lyrics will crack you up .)

The other night about 9 O’clock up to the rail stepped Flow , telling all her hard luck tales while taking on a glow, she said her man was stepping out and tearing down her life and if he didn’t change his ways she’d go and tell his wife. I have to stand and listen to everyone’s bad news and all I get for my trouble is the bartenders blues.

I hadn’t heard the Johnny Bond song before so I had to look it up. It really swings!

Hand held recorders : did not know it but they do make them video also . I think it is ZOOM that makes it and it is a Q2HD and price is $199 so it is not to high and I bet that is what did the trick on the mix on the Genseng Sullivan tune song. I seen it today in a Musicians friend catalog .

I now have another favorite picker and singer this guy sounds so much like Tony Rice it ain’t funny and his picking is super great. I watched " Mordecai" where the bird landed on his guitar and he petted the bird through the rest of the song, it endeared the audience and me also. I will listen to him as much as I can. Great baritone voice ! Of course Ben will always be my guitar banjo mandolin hero singer .

I believe Josh learned a few things sharing the stage with Tony, don’t you?

— Begin quote from "TNTaylor414"

I’m going to attempt to get the intro up to speed.

— End quote

Me and my big mouth. :laughing:

I think I have the intro down pretty good but when I try to play along to the video, there’s just no way. Josh is cooking on this one. He just makes it look so easy. I don’t see how the pros stay so relaxed at these speeds. It’s all I can do to stay relaxed playing the rhythm to this one. I should have known that when the rhythm is almost too fast, I have no shot at lead.

That’s what’s so cool about the great players… they don’t sound like it’s as fast as it is because they play things so fluid. It’s still a nice piece you learned and the good news is that there are many usable speeds short of Josh speed.

Yes there are many speeds you can play them at , most of the guys local play black mountain rag right around 180 beats and the pro’s of course belt it out at 250 330 beats I personally do not like to listen to Black mountain rag faster than 200 beats . But every one has a preference that is what makes the music world turn.

This is a lot of what people miss when they jam/play/sing…dynamics. If you listen to really good musicians play they leave room not only musically but dynamically for the focal point of the performance at the moment.

Fiddlewood you are right on there . there are so many good players and there is always the prima donna that seems to show up that is God’s gift to bluegrass in their own eyes and ears . They tend to spoil a good session . I try to lay back until I am very comfortable with who I am playing with and also that I do not pull a prima donna on them it keeps them from wanting you to come back. Don’t get me wrong, and if someone shows up that is God’s gift to blue grass I will listen intently , and enjoy it . Hope you have as much fun playing as I do and maybe more LOL !!!