Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Gibson is Back and Great stuff!

Just got a Gibson J35, not an original, a reissue as I am not a man of unlimited means… :mrgreen: But Gibson got it right this time! I guess what got me going was reading so many reviews on them and nothing but raves. I have been wanting a short scale with electronics for some time and this fits the bill.
Have not looked at Gibson in years, liked the J 45 but to boomy and bass heavy for me whereas the 35 has a great balance, lots of bass but it can cut thru with treble and mid. Lot of guitar for the money as well, nice finish work and fit. The pins replaced with bone and it sounds a lot like a vintage guitar.
They have another new model coming out this year as well but have not seen it yet, but if it’s like this one the others have some stiff competition coming, I almost bought a Eastman, but kept looking because all my guitars are USA made and just couldn’t get past the Chinese thing, ya I know they are great guitars, but somehow old time American music just don’t seem right on a Chinese made guitar, :astonished: ,no offense JMO, :confused: but then I drive US iron too, still a few of us out here. :unamused:

Congrats!!! I love the J35. I have played 2 or 3 and they have all been good ones. I think Gibson hit it out of the park with that one. I haven’t plugged one in, but acoustically I really like them.

Congratulations on the Gibson Jerry! You sure sound awful excited there. My J45 will be eleven in two months. BTW no offense taken on the boomy comment you made either. I have to be careful with the low end on mine when plugged in. However, of all of my guitars it is by far the better sounding guitar plugged in. Gotta love the short scale. I am not a bluegrass picker (yet) like many of you here but I can finger pick and bend a string or two. SS makes that real nice! Glad to hear Gibson did it right with this one and I have to check one out. Just saw the J-15 debuted at NAMM and so far so good with this one too! I am not sure what joy on earth is greater than a new acoustic!!! Have fun and enjoy! John

Thanks John, don’t know what the 15 will sound like, seems like Walnut is a strange wood to choose, but who knows? Must be a reason they decided on it. Most likely this will be my only Gibson, they really aren’t BG machines like Martin and some others. I like it because it is different from my other dreads and electric, my only one.
The Taylor dread I have is not a BG machine either but it is such a great guitar I don’t think I will ever sell it, it’s a Dn5, and say what you may about Taylor but it is the most easy guitar to play I own and I have some spectacular ones, just doesn’t have the traditional aura so I leave it home at festivals and take my Bourgeois.
I need to find a good GAS medication as I get it fairly often…problem is I just can’t sell any of em cause I luv em all! :mrgreen:

Jerry, you may have crossed the fine line between GAS And GAAS (Guitar Acquisition Addiction Syndrome). Alot of people have it and it’s only life threatening if you’re married.

You should put a Collings on your list to add to the fleet. I’d like to try a Bourgeoius. I’ve only played a couple, but I hear great things about them.

I have a Gibson J-60 and it’s about as bluegrass as anything, but it doesn’t have the “look”. You gotta have the squared off headstock and the Martin pickguard. I’ve heard some great sounding Taylors that aren’t considered bluegrass as well.

Enjoy all of them, they’re a lifelong investment and don’t cost much to maintain if they’re taken care of. Other hobbies can cost a whole lot more in the long run.

J.W.

JW, you are an enabler :laughing:

Just last night, my wife said a trip to Gruhn’s is not a good idea for a recovering guitar addict. I asked “Who’s recovering?”

At least you’re not in denial, Mike.

Hey JW already have a Bourgeois Vintage D, Collings D2H, Taylor Dn5, and now the Gibson, GAS class tonight, trying for recovery, not really I love em all !!!

PS: funny thing is I have yet to get a Martin, well something to look forward to…Jerry :mrgreen:

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

JW, you are an enabler

— End quote

I must admit, I had to look that up Mike. It’s funny now… good one.

Gruhn’s is a great place. I’d like to check out the new store and see Billy. He always sends me home with something even if I don’t buy anything.

— Begin quote from "Jerry M"

PS: funny thing is I have yet to get a Martin, well something to look forward to…Jerry

— End quote

I’ll be 50 this year and I’ve only had one Martin. It was a '56 D-18. Shoulda kept it, but I couldn’t stand the narrow neck and crowded string spacing, especially at the nut.

I didn’t know you had a Collings. I have a D-2HG (German Top) that I actually traded my Martin for. Since you already have a Collings, I think you should go for a Brazilian McPherson and skip the classes.

J.W.

Poor Jerry… we’ll pass the plate for you to get a Martin. :laughing:

One major obstacle here… :nerd: my wife does not share my appreciation of fine woods and also has a nasty habit of asking why do you need another one??? Since I have promised the last five or so that was it , :laughing: :unamused: I need to cool it for a while , she says I am obsessed with playing and buying guitars :blush: but the guy at the store told me you can’t have too many??? :astonished: :open_mouth: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Actually I am thinning down to my favorite four. HE, he, he, :unamused: No really…

PS: Since I bought the Bourgeois it has actually become my favorite of all that I have owned over the years and it is definitely the best sounding guitar I have ever owned, however I rarely take it out of the house to jams, I will grab another that I am not so nervous about being around a bunch of folks that sometimes sit close and don’t watch the headstocks and things swinging around the mikes etc. a friend had a nice chunk taken out of his Martins top by a fellow player moving up to the mike and not being careful with his instrument.

So I guess we don’t need to pass the plate for you after all if no more would be allowed. Can’t say we didn’t offer!

I bet your Bourgeois Slope is a wonderful instrument. I can understand wanting to keep it like new. I used to try to keep all my guitars that way. Now I only have one guitar that doesn’t get consideration for going someplace iffy. About a year ago I was playing that guitar and got a phone call. As I was putting the phone back, I fumbled it, dropped it on the side of the guitar and put a nice little ding in it. With some effort it could be made to all but disappear, and I thought about repairing it, but in time I decided to just leave it. Now I don’t have to worry as much about the next things that will happen. That guitar still doesn’t get out much, but I have played it out for a couple solo things. That wouldn’t probably have happened without the ding, so I guess it may have been a “good” thing in a way. I might even put a strap button on it one of these days.

All my guitars get strap buttons before I even leave the store as I need to be able to stand and play and the long straps over the headstock don’t work for me as it puts the guitar in a funny angle, I hold my guitar at the same place standing as sitting. I practice sitting but when I adjust the strap I hold the guitar in the same exact spot so standing doesn’t change the feel much.
I have forced myself to keep my guitars in the stand or case all the time, if the phone rings, dog needs out, wife calls or whatever, I put it on the stand, overnight they all sleep in the case.
I got up with a guitar to rush to the phone once and when I was sitting back down banged it on the leg of the chair I use for practice, it’s a metal folding chair, well needless to say ding time, made me ill for sure, but now the chair is covered in pipe insulation, the frame is round tubes so it fit perfect and if I bang it again won’t hurt a thing. Not pretty to look at but who cares I’m the only one who comes up in my music room anyway. And i don’t rush to phones anymore, let it ring until the guitar is down and safe…
I also bought a heavy duty music stand to make sure my folders don’t fall off and hit the guitar, since I made a conscious effort to be careful I have had no problems or dings. I also have a table and neck rest for adjusting and changing strings.
Someday I may get a Martin but for now I have not found one I like enough to buy, I have played a bunch, a 1949 dread was the last one I really liked at McKenzie Music in Eugene Or. here but at 62,000 I had to let it go, :blush: unless you guys can pass a bigger plate :mrgreen:
The new Martins don’t grab me much the older ones I like I really can;t afford and to be honest some of them are just so expensive I wouldn’t want to take them out. The Bourgeois are expensive enough but I must say they are my favorite guitar, the 23/32 nut and mod v neck are just perfect for me. I don’t care to much for the slimmed down necks they fatigue my hand in short order where as I can play the heavier necks for a good long time.
I don’t know about you guys but I need a minimum of four hours a day just to keep up with my regular lessons, and really that is not enough. I spend another hour or so every evening on memorizing tunes I can play but need music for. Slowly eliminating the crutch. Jerry

$62K sounds steep for a '49 anything. Was it a special model or have a history?

I guess I can be an enabler too… based on your stated preferences, I would suggest trying a Martin D-28 1931 Authentic (new model in the last year). I suspect you would dig it. I am trying to avoid one :laughing:

Mike that is one of many at McKenzie River they have a wall of vintage stuff, like some others, they know me and wanted me to try it out, obviously I can in no way afford a guitar at that price. The guitars I have are the result of my gun collection being substantially reduced, an AR 15 and a couple of handguns financed my Bourgeois. As I said I am going down to about four guitars now the Gibson I like because it’s different than all the others and is electric which I wanted for small venues, I plan on buying the Fishman Loudbox Mini, heard one and they are nice for only a few pounds in weight.
Anyway I lead a pretty boring life and guitars are my only hobby so if I drank or played with cars or boats or something it would be more expensive. At my age this is about as exciting as it gets, playing music and buying a new guitar now and then. Jerry

I have a Loudbox Mini. I wouldn’t trade it for anything I have tried when you consider size and cost. I went to get a bigger Loudbox (120 watt version with phantom power) and I didn’t like the basic sound as well as the mini. Your mileage may vary. My only real complaint about the mini… no phantom power for the mic.

By the way, in case it sounded as such, I didn’t mean to imply that you need a Martin to be complete. Obviously, you have a fine stable already.

Well, I took the Gibson J35 for a setup and got it back today, the truss rod had never been tightened from the factory just snugged up and now the action is fantastic on this thing. I kind of forgot about the short scale thing for a while there because I was only playing on the first seven frets because the action over 12 was a bit high for me. Now that the action is right and the short scale in combination this is the easiest playing guitar I own, hands down.
Doesn’t have the balls of a Bourgeois D but for playability it is fantastic, I am really impressed, and I like the electronics kind of icing on the cake!
As far as workmanship once again if I put it up to my Bourgeois it is nowhere as good, But I paid 4275.00 for the B and only 1250.00 for this Gibson used.The guy had just bought it in Dec. and didn’t like it and paid 1699.00 for it, but to late to return so I made the offer and he took it. I think the reason he didn’t like it was the action from the factory. I know from having a few guitars if the neck angle is good the action can be fixed so no problem.
I am really happy with this short scale, can’t believe the difference in ease of play. Sorry now that I didn’t order my Bourgeois with a ss. Jerry