Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Generated a song with AI

I’ve been playing around with an AI tool (ChatGPT) for a few days now. I asked it to write a bluegrass song about a man whose dog steals his truck and girlfriend. It generated the following song in like 10 seconds. Amazing…

Verse 1:
Well, I had a dog, he was my best friend
Always by my side until the very end
But one day, he got a little too bold
Stole my truck and my girl, left me in the cold

Chorus:
Oh, that dog, he sure could run
Took my heart and my wheels, left me with none
But I ain’t gonna cry, I ain’t gonna mope
I’ll get 'em both back, with a little bit of hope

Verse 2:
I tracked them down to the edge of town
Saw my truck parked and my girl around
But that old dog, he wouldn’t come back
He just wagged his tail and gave a little laugh

Chorus:

Bridge:
Now I’m walking the road with nothing but my feet
But I’m still standing, I won’t accept defeat
I’ll find a new truck and a new girl too
And that old dog, well, I’ll get him too

Chorus:

Outro:
Well, life can be tough, it can take a turn
But I’ll keep on walking, I’ll never learn
To give up on love, or my faithful hound
'Cause in the end, what goes around, comes around.

3 Likes

What!?! No tabs!?!
Stupid Artificial Intelligence. :wink:

3 Likes

To quote Charlene Darling…“That song makes me cry.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s good and just a bit scary.

1 Like

Amazing, but this stuff makes me shudder.

1 Like

I’ve always been into tech and science. Made a really good living off both. Wife also. Now we have all kids excelling in “new levels” of tech and science.

This stuff SHOULD SCARE YOU.

I started learning about “data” in college. It started with the internet. Some folks came in looking for both brains and money. Most of us didn’t understand it. I did. I then worked in R&D for a Kodak company.

Several years later I found myself really starting a “data” company form a Print & Mail Co. The back story there, is I designed high speed “variable data” printing machines in a lab for Kodak. I took that product from the lab, to shipping approval, to mass production, and low and behold I ended going and holding the hands of our “field engineers” and acted as a liaison between the customer and our guys.

So, I was on a team of 20 that developed this product from a lab, and I ended up being the “world renown expert” from cradle to grave on these things…so I purchased some of the very stuff I designed and started a company…but my claim to fame? DATA.

I converted one of the very 1st Board of Elections over from “labels” to an electronic database. I then controlled a smallish regional market on “expert in all things BOE databases”. Did all of the voter registration print and mail projects too…millions of pieces of variable data printed mailings. All those “junk mail” political mailings that use to fill your mailbox? I’d send out MILLIONS of that stuff.
I also was approached from one of the very 1st Electronic Voting Machine" companies, not only to help them, but to integrate my “data offerings” into their product(s).

That industry was dying, but Data was thriving. I sold it.

Today? Oldest is a Biomolecular (chem) Engineer graduating with MS in Data Analytics in a few weeks.
My wife’s claim to fame? Pioneer on the Electronic Medical Records “front”.
My youngest (17) heading off to college? He’s a “ghost” when it comes to “all things digital” and online…does “gaming” though but has never had a “social media account”.

This family knows a thing or two about data…this stuff should SCARE you.

1 Like

You know those postcards you get in the mail w/sprayed on addresses w/barcode? I designed systems that do that.

The system that sprays down the addresses. I could “spray down the address” of speeds of up to 50K pieces per hour. I also had other equipment that could print “sheets” of variable data.

Twenty years ago I could find out just about everything about you via your habits. Today? AI.

Scary stuff. Very scary stuff. Will blur all lines between “fact vs fiction”.

1 Like

I agree, it can be scary if it’s used wrong, and eventually it probably will be. But it is valuable if used for good reasons or research.

1 Like

I agree with you.

1 Like

Central Bank DIgital Currency, (now being beta tested). AI. Strong delusion. Hope we’re all long gone.

2 Likes

I can’t help thinking of AI as the new “confessional booth” of the future where every submission we say to it is stored. Perhaps I’ve read too much about the Jesuits and their worldwide database collections. :pensive: No doubt it can be used for good in certain ways… just creeps me out…

As for digital/crypto currency no thank you!

2 Likes

Totally agree with you on currency. Sooner or later, I bet it will happen though. Hopefully not in my lifetime. I worry about my children and grandchildren growing up in this world!

4 Likes

It’s already gone wrong…

By the way … I found a really good “unbiased” daily news feed through email…

1 Like

It’s coming very soon.

1 Like

Three words “It isn’t you”. Not a fan. We’re all going to turn into jabba-the-hut if we don’t squash this.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve found lots of problems and falsehoods and problems with it. Its potential is frightening.

1 Like

Chris, I’m totally conviced that Pandora’s Box has already been opened. Here is an article found in Reuters. (Definitely no right wing, conspiricy theory, news organization).

2 Likes

@Treblemaker… I totally agree.

Long time programmer/conspiracy kook here…
Not trying to toot my own horn, just explaining where I am coming from: Over the years, I have written code from the most basic form of machine language (ones and zeros) to modern object oriented languages. As a kid on my TRS-80, I typed in a BASIC version of Eliza. As a young adult I played with adaptive programming. As an adult, I was impressed and entertained by (the original version of) Siri. I have enjoyed many fiction books, movies and games about cyber-apocalypse. In short, I have been interested in it for the vast majority of my life.
I think the most direct threat of AI is I see the old “garbage in/garbage out” issue. I think there are 2 main threats with AI:

1. The Terminator/Cyberdyne Systems problem. Basically, AI actively destroys civilization. It may be plausible, but I am not too worried about this in my lifetime.
  2. The problem where AI becomes viewed as more than it is, where it is deemed being smarter than everyone, so it is elevated as a superior “intelligence.” This is the problem that bothers me. A program is dependent on it’s original code. ChatGPT can do some really neat things, but so far from what I have seen, it is tied to what it is trained on. It responds based on what it has “read.” It is fundamentally pattern recognition. It can grow in its knowledge base, but it can’t make transformative leaps the way the human brain can. It is a tool. If used correctly, it is a powerful tool. Much like a hammer, if used incorrectly, it can be a dangerous thing. ChatGPT has opened up an API for people to adapt it to their own uses. It can be used in both useful and non-useful ways.

A couple articles caught my eye over the last few months. In one, an “AI” database tool “developed” a new method for cancer treatment. Here’s a link from the great medical journal NYPost:
https://nypost.com/2023/03/20/ai-develops-cancer-treatment-in-30-days-predicts-survival-rate/
This is a great use for “AI.” Pattern recognition that can be done much more efficiently than humans sifting through data.

Another one caught my eye as well. In essence, ChatGPT was by its coding prevented from writing a poem about Trump’s positive attributes “saying” it could not generate “partisan, biased or political” content. However when requested to do the same for Biden, it churned out a poem praising him.

That is the crux of the problem. In a time when our society has politicized just about everything (here in the US, see the media, DOJ, FBI, IRS, etc.), AI as it currently is enacted is just the next tool to be abused. It is still enslaved to the problem of garbage in/garbage out. Even before AI, people have held up computer models for all sorts of things to prove a point saying that it was unbiased. Other folks blindly bought into these even long after those models were shown to NOT be accurately predictive. Now with AI garnering the amount of attention it does, I think we have just seen the tip of the iceberg.

In short, much like nuclear fusion, I don’t fear AI in and of itself. I do fear what humans can and will do with it.

9 Likes

One of the most realistic takes on AI/machine learning I’ve seen. Great write up Mike! :100:

9 Likes