Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Forgetting What You Know

While I am getting much better at “Old Joe Clark,” and have started playing along with the rhythm tracks, I realized I have forgotten how to play a couple songs I had down pretty well, Minor Mingle. I love the way that sounds!
Problem #1: So I went back to them and kinda sorta struggled to relearn them. About 90% was right, but generally I get lost going from the A part to the B part. (I call it “rounding the curve.” I’m cruising along nicely when suddenly the road takes a sharp turn & I’m not quite ready for it!)
Problem #2: Banjo ADD. Now that I can play slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs & chokes, I keep thinking “Wouldn’t it sound great if I threw one in …here!”
Well, no it doesn’t, because that’s not what my newly acquired muscle memory wants to do. It always seems to be a last moment, split second decision and usually results in two techniques colliding in a spectacularly bad manner.
Problem #3: When the A part is repeated, I tend to forget if I played it once or if this is my second time around. Typically this happens when I’m playing with the rhythm tracks, so I end up screwing up everything.

Is this common to a newbie? or should I just say “Well, this is my personal preference?” :smirk:

7 Likes

Forgetting something you’ve learned happens to all of us. When I was at Ben’s last, we were sitting in his living room and someone asked if I knew a particular song. I said that I used to but probably couldn’t pull it off right now. Katy chimed in and said that happens to her all the time.

As your repertoire grows, so will this problem. I try to play through all the songs I’ve learned at least once every time I sit down to my banjo to try to fight it.

9 Likes

#1. I had to make a list of the songs I know, so I could make sure I play them all once in a while. I’ll occasionally scan through the list and look for songs I haven’t played recently.

#2. When I go back to a song I know with plans to decorate it a little, I usually pick one measure or one phrase, and just mess around with it over and over until I find something interesting that works. A bit of trial and error. After that, I’ll play through the whole song and see how it sounds.

#3. I definitely had this same issue. I think you will just naturally work this out. As you get more and more comfortable playing (and hearing) the song, you’ll just sort of know whether you have played the A part twice or not. If you are playing the same version of the A part for both, you might want to try to learn a variation of the A part for the 2nd run through (like Ben teaches on most of his lessons, for mandolin at least). Then it’ll be a little easier to tell which A part you are on. I think playing along with the rhythm tracks, like you are, is also a great way to work it out.

6 Likes

Once again, your encouragement is like a dose of cold water! :grimacing: :grin::grin::grin:

And, I always suspected Katy, “played too many notes!” :crazy_face:

4 Likes

That is one great feature of the Learning Track. I find myself going back to see what I’ve done and see what I’ve forgotten. It’s funny, but I found myself wondering if I knew the G-lick. Turns out, I did, I just forgot the name!

1 Like

Hi Joe, you may have forgotten how to play the tune but I’ll bet you haven’t forgotten everything that was taught in those lessons. There is always a lick or a phrase or roll pattern that you’ll retain.

Some of the tunes I learned when I started out 12 years ago and haven’t played in 8 or 10 years I can play note for note, Where as tunes I learned 2 months ago I struggle to recall. It’s all still in there in my long term memory I just struggle to recall it in the moment. I have heard @BanjoBen say the same thing, things he taught years ago he would struggle to play now.

The way to retain it is to keep practicing it this can be hard as you learn more and more. At this time I have learned about 80% of the lessons Ben has taught on this site plus a ton of other lessons from other resources, I can’t instantly recall most of what I have learned but I can recall some of what I’ve learned.

Some tunes are easier to recall than others. I try to record most of the tunes I have learned and post them on my YouTube Channel as a reminder of what I have achieved on my journey.

5 Likes

Hey Joe

I find that knowing the core basics of the song first helps a lot, meaning try to incorporate the chord sequence and number of measures for each chord of the songs you play. I usually vamp or basic roll through it in a loop, just like you would when a fiddle player is taking a solo

As you get more comfortable with your licks and rolls, you will be able to go through the measures applying what you know, even if it is not the exact melody, That is a very good exercise to break off the tab sheet, start to improvise and work on your musical freedom. THat takes time but you can do it slowly, Start with G, maybe just one or two measures.

3 Likes

“Getting off the tab sheet” is sorta what I have to do. The tabs with the TEF file are fine, but when I print the pdf, it’s too small for my antique eyes!
So I work on memorizing the song before I play with the rhythm track.
I figure it’s probably bad in the short run but good in the long run.

1 Like

I have gone back & looked at some of my earlier attempts. It’s kinda embarrassing, like looking at your old school class picture.
Back then I thought I was cool, :sunglasses:
but what was I thinking with that hair!?! :flushed:

3 Likes

Great discussion @BanJoe. I’m glad you put yourself out there and asked these questions. I was wondering the exact same thing about forgetting songs I’ve been learning. It sounds like going back to a song is like driving back to an old town you haven’t been to in a long while. You think you might not be able to get around but once you start seeing all the familiar landmarks, it all comes back to ya.

4 Likes

@BanJoe Not a unique problem but like all our sharing on here one that confuses my mind as well as my body . Took a lot of years out from playing guitar but when I came back some songs where still there almost intact others miserably gone. Consistency none, of these I could remember there were classics with extended passages and 3 chord wonders. Of those I had forgotten the very same. Even analysed for a while to see if were key related but it wasn’t, What was evident though was of those I could remember I was doing it with such confidence I threw in some additional 1/4 bends and the like-So i think its just welcome to the World of Music-Happy Picking

2 Likes

Well, dang, I feel encouraged! I mean, I think I should because I have not “forgotten” any songs. Or, maybe it’s because I don’t know enough to forget. Either way, thanks!

5 Likes

Well, it just happened. I was sitting here going through my stash of backing tracks and thought “Now I know I learned another song after I got Shenandoah Breakdown figured out.” I use my backing tracks to keep tabs on what I’ve learned and need to practice now and then, but Shenandoah Breakdown was the newest one I had.

Yeah, turns out I had learned Cumberland Gap a few weeks later. So, here we go… relearning it.

7 Likes

after reading all this post and the replies I realize now its just common to forget things you’ve learned woo who it isn’t because I am getting old LOL

1 Like

I was certain I had something to add to this post oh well!

2 Likes

Where did I put my car keys ?

I have heard stories where folk have gone out to Sunday lunch and left the kids in the restaurant. !!! fear

2 Likes

Yes we Brits had a Prime Minister who did that!

3 Likes

Was that Cameron ?

2 Likes

Yes

2 Likes

“Oh… yes… I :v: forgot :v: the kids.”
:smirk:

3 Likes