Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

First Fiddle tune on my list... Blackberry Blossom ...aargh

I can do it REASONABLY well at 150 bpm… the wheels start coming off at 180 bpm. Plus, I am having trouble tensing up in both arms as I get into this tune. My “Bucket list” for this upcoming year is to get a few of these fiddle tunes up to speed. Sometime I think my decades as a professional bassist have given me a heavy-handed approach to playing that inhibits me as a guitarist. Gotta lighten things up.
Mr%20G%20%20poster

4 Likes

Sounds like a good analysis if you are tensing up.

that’s my current thought… for now :sunglasses:

Literally scrunching my eyes shut and WILLING my picking hand to play lighter. I know I must look so funny right now…

1 Like

:laughing:
It’s not a secret, but part of being able to play different (lighter and looser in this case) is to play at a speed below where you can currently play it. That typically allows one to engage the brain. Good luck on the journey and let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

Tension is so hard to shake as you build speed. I have the same issue. It’s really good to be aware of it!

3 Likes

@Bcaves glad to see you made the spring camp. I couldn’t schedule around it this year. I saw this thread yesterday and thought I’d try BBB. It’s been at least 6 months or longer since played that on the guitar. To my surprise I played through it at a decent clip.

BBB was the first fiddle tune I learned from @BanjoBen ‘s site. I remember thinking, what evil person came up with pick strokes. :thinking:

4 Likes

About halfway thru at 180 bpm… em section still throws me under the bus, backs up and hits me again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But progress is being made. Still losing myself when soloing.

2 Likes

I made it through with only a few fumbles at 180…. Progress is being made! I am sure it is the Blue Chip pick that made the difference…. Right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::nerd_face::sunglasses::crazy_face:

7 Likes

No doubt! Great job!

2 Likes

It’s a fun tune!

1 Like