Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Finger Nail Length

Hey y’all was just wondering what a good length for finger nails on your fret hand is. I’m a nail chewer and am used to taking them down to the quick, but I’m trying to break the habit. I figure a little bit of a nail might help shape my calluses, or I could be wrong. I tried to look at Ben’s nails in his videos, but can’t really see them that good. Anyone have any preferences?

5 Likes

I’d always like to have my nails “completely” cut on the fret hand for better grasp.

3 Likes

Completely meaning to the quick or a bit longer.

2 Likes

I’m no great in English to correctly articulate it. I believe what you mean by “to the quick” is what I mean. Not the bit longer thing.

3 Likes

I keep my fret hand nails slightly longer because if I clip them too short, the skin underneath the nail tends to pull away when doing a bend/choke. After that, I have to wait a few days for it to heal before playing.

4 Likes

Hi Emilie

For Scruggs/Melodic Style I keep mine short but Dolly Parton keeps her nails long

2 Likes

Hey Archie thanks
Since I play Scruggs style what do you call short

1 Like

Just about as close to my finger as not to cut it off. I keep them tidy with an emery board.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-503172f48c271abcfe4feab809eb5434.webp

3 Likes

Cool pic… Just that… nice and clean!

2 Likes

I should add that some pro-pickers keep them a shade longer and do slides on the nail. I believe Earl Scruggs, Bill Evans and possibility Toni Trischka do this. I think you need to have thick strong nails to do this. My nails are very thin so I just slide on the callus pad.

2 Likes

Thanks for picture Archie, that’s what I needed to see.:+1:

2 Likes

Very short

4 Likes

I keep fret hand nails short, but lately I’ve been doing bare-fingerstyle guitar, so have grown-out my picking nails and keep a specific nail profile to engage the string correctly. My longer nails luckily do not interfer with my banjo picks if I pick up the banjo for a joy-ride or two.

3 Likes

I’ve always kept mine as short as possible without causing pain. I keep nail clippers on my keychain.

3 Likes

I wish nail length was a problem! Mine are very thin and break very easily. I too thought if I could let them grow out a little longer would support the callusses better. I used to be a nail biter so the white growth starts pretty low on my nail bed, which doesnt give the support a longer nail bed like Archie shows in his pic.

2 Likes

My wife took these while she was pregnant and was amazed how strong her nails and hair became.

Garden of Life Organic Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate - mykind Whole Food Prenatal Vitamin, Vegan, 180 Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5NELR0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_a72nEb9SS0YAC

Might be worth a shot.

3 Likes

I have the bulge but I am not pregnant @Mark_Rocka

5 Likes

I don’t get this!

What does fingernails have to do with callusses?! I keep all my nails as short as possible. When you’re fretting, the nails just get in the way of the fretboard. If you play enough you’ll get callusses and they will support themselves.

I say keep em short! (Just my opinion)

Try different things until you find what works best for you… good luck!

Interesting post BTW!

2 Likes

Some pickers do slides on their nails. I have weak nails so I slide on the callus.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice y’all. :+1:I would also like to get Ben’s opinion.

1 Like