Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

FG800 Or FG830?

Hey Ya’ll

Is the FG800 And FG830 Good bluegrass guitars? And which one would you think is better?

Thanks!

1 Like

This could easily turn into a long complex discussion with many nuances, so I’ll try my best to keep it brief. My ‘bottom line up front’ recommendation is to call the General Store and seek council. I assign alot of value and trust to Jake and team. But, my take on your question is that there are 2 primary standards in BG Guitar, Mahogony vs Rosewood. When I look at the FG800 vs FG830 specs, I see the 830 has laminate Rosewood, but the 800 has neither. So point to the 830 on that metric. I’ll end with a really good comment I heard when I was trying to decide on which Eastman guitar to purchase “it’s not which one do you want, it’s which one do you want first.”

3 Likes

SO, do they both have solid tops? which one would be better for lead flatpicking?

The 830 would be a better guitar. We don’t even carry the 800 because you get much more guitar for just a little more money in the 830. I’d consider the 820…it’s a little cheaper and sounds killer.

2 Likes

Okay thanks Ben! Do they make Any other colors other than the natural?

Hmm, I don’t know for sure. Check out the Yamaha website and see if there’s something there you like. If so, I can order it for you.

1 Like

I’ll check it out thanks!