Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Faded Skills

Installation #2 in the Crash & Burn series aaf_lol

Been spending the last couple days on this:

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/swing-chords-6th-7th-minor-diminished-guitar-advanced

Finger stamina faded out while trying to record a rhythm track…needed a break.

Improvised over a throw-away track just to relax, & have some variety for a bit, and ended up with this.

No plan, just looking for the next note & praying…haha
The thread title is in reference to the picture…35 years ago I was a little more adept at the instrument. “Use it or lose it” = true.

5 Likes

Enjoyed that! :+1::grin: Thanx for sharing!
Can only imagine if this is what you’re considering faded, how you played 35 years ago​:fire::notes:!

The use it or lose it is definitely true. If I miss just a day or two I can tell - even though I’ve only got 4 years (mandolin) under my fingers!

As for finger stamina, after a while of playing, especially chords/backup, I can’t feel the strings anymore & end up compensating for that by fretting way too tight. The good news is they’re not sore or tired. Just numb lol :grimacing::confounded:

2 Likes

Man this song is just great and I like the improvisation practice concept. Thanks for sharing! I think I’ll get to work on this tune soon.

1 Like

Sounds great to me. I’m glad you shared. I had forgotten about this chord study, mostly because I sucked at it. I should try it again. I have a couple curiosity questions. When they show the D6 chord could that also be a Bm/D and could the G6 also be a CM7/G? I hope I’m notating it correctly. B minor with a D in the bass and a C major 7 with a G in the bass. Anyway I really enjoy listening.

1 Like

@Tim_C

I’m not positive, but I believe the chord names are derived from the key?dontknow

1 Like

The key will in fact dictate what chords are contained within, however, the chord name will be defined first by its root, then by the intervals above that. For instance a C major: root C then major third (E), then fifth (G) C-E-G. If E is the lowest note, it is stil a C Major chord, but it would be its first inversion E-G-C. The second inversion would be G-C-E. Different chords may contain the same notes, but they would still be defined by the root.

1 Like

Both rhythm and lead sound great. Good job!

1 Like