Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Example of using a CAGED form to place a guitar solo on my neck

Please forgive me - this is not a bluegrass tune, but it demonstrates how I use the CAGED system with my students to learn cool guitar solos. In this video I demonstrate using the G form to play the guitar solo from Boston’s “More than a Feeling”.
G Form “More than a Feeling”
Mr%20G%20%20poster

4 Likes

CAGED GUITAR

5 Likes

@Mr_G, cool, but do you have an example where you make your solo span over more than one form/shape?

let me dig thru my video archives… if I can’t find one, I will make one!

1 Like

Thanks Mr G! Now Libby recommends it, I’m considering buying your ebooks, so trying to get a sense of what you discuss over there from your free videos/lessons!

2 Likes

Libby is one of my fav’s.

5 Likes

HAHAHA!!!
This is funny. You hilarious.

1 Like

So you are using the G form (shape) of the caged system, but all the notes are in the D major scale? Am I getting this?

Exactly!!
The root of the G Form (green dot with an R) is on the 10th fret of the Fat E string to play in the key of “D”. The numbers at the bottom are the fingers I use to play the notes in this form. All the dots are the major scale notes in this position.
mr g

g%20form%20maj%20scale

4 Likes

Thanks Mr G. I’ve been working on learning the CAGED system.

I wasn’t aware of this pattern. So, I’m gathering that this allows me to use this pattern for any key I want. Just have to change the root note… Very useful.

So, are there also patterns for CAE and D?

1 Like

This is a little more simplified than Mr. G’s chart, and the chords should overlap with each other more than you see here - for example, the full G shape also includes the three notes in the A shape. But here’s a picture of the very basic chord shapes in the order they are on the guitar neck. Maybe it helps!

7 Likes

Thanks Libby. I like the way the chords are highlighted and the way the intervals are numbered. One more helpful piece to add to the puzzle. Haven’t got it completely cracked yet, but I’m getting there.

2 Likes