Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Easter Song

I really, really like this song. My mind almost immediately went Skaggs and Rice, so here’s how I feel it would sound if they did it (I also changed a few words that I thought would fit the feel better):

3/4 timing
Key of G- guitar capo 3, E position:

Mandolin intro

1 (1 4) 1 1
1 1 5 5
1 (1 4) 1 1
1 5 1 1

God sent His son to redeem us all
His message shared to testify,
Of God’s great Love, a Clarion Call,
A coming day when Death would die!

Our Lord walked on to Calvary
A spotless lamb for you and I
A blood-stained cross, our Victory
Jesus met Death and Death did die!

Guitar solo

Three days had passed, the King did Rise
An empty tomb was all to see
God’s Grace bestowed, our precious prize
Now Death is dead for eternity

Through troubled times we need not grieve;
Through faith alone to justify,
Salvation claimed when we believe

Mandolin tag

3 Likes

Kind of the same feel as “Have You Someone in Heaven Awaiting” on the Skaggs & Rice album. Do you think it needs a chorus? Maybe after the 2nd and 4th verses?

2 Likes

haha, yeah, Richard is actually my dads name, he set up the account for me. That must look weird to y’all…:laughing:

2 Likes

I like it… What you did with it!

@Michael_Mark, when I wrote this line…

‘An empty tomb for all to see’ - in the sense that the tomb was declared empty to the whole world so they might believe He had Risen.

I understand the line… “An empty tomb was all to see”… conveys a similar idea … that the tomb was empty.

As to the thought of a chorus… I strongly considered a shorter one (2 lines) but didn’t know if it was too long?

I also wanted to stay true to that line about "Jesus met death and Death did die!

Since chorus lyrics normally dominate the song, I didn’t know if it would subtract from it.

I also replaced Pascal with “Pastoral Lamb”.

Also, I thought a good title: THE DAY DEATH DIED

3 Likes

Yeah, I like both of them :+1:

2 Likes

I think a 4 line chorus with the same chord progression would be good, kind of like Rank Stranger.

3 Likes

Reminds me of Hebrews 2:14-15:

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

4 Likes

@Michael_Mark,

Some of my themes were loosely based on my ongoing recent study of the book of Romans…

More specifically, one of my favorite quotes, Romans 10:9-10…

“because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.”

3 Likes

@Michael_Mark,

I really the inference to put a caboose on it by repeating the last line!

Good idea! :wink::+1::facepunch:

3 Likes

Maybe Gunnar @Dragonslayer would have some ideas?

1 Like

This is kinda what I got when I tried to sing it… Not the best guitar player.

6 Likes

Ok @Grace … let me clear this up… YOU are Grace - not Richard… is that right? :grin:

That was soooo cool! Rewarding to hear my words in song!

I like your voice!

3 Likes

@Grace and @Michael_Mark,

I wish you could keep going… :grin:

Should it have a separate chorus?

3 Likes

Wow that’s cool @WillCoop, @Michael_Mark, and @Grace ! I think a mando break would sound cool on that song.

2 Likes

I have my Mando in hand right now…

Seems she sang it in a 4/4 rhythm - in the key of B

I wonder if she could sing it in C or G… Lol

3 Likes

I was thinking something like Ricky Skaggs’ intro here:

2 Likes

Yes sir, I am Grace Miller, not Richard :smile:
thank you!

3 Likes

All do respect to @Grace’s lovely voice (and I wish she could sing it for real) - as the phrase came from her… This was the rhythm I had in mind @Michael_Mark - exactly!

3 Likes

I was wondering that… Not sure. It would have to do with the main thought that each verse ties into, which I guess would be the ‘Jesus met death and death died’ part.

2 Likes

@grace - so the name IS in there! :wink:.

Can you try to sing it in C and in 3…

3 Likes