Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Easter Song

Those may work… but not exactly what I wrote, @JohnM.

Still, I appreciate the involvement. :grinning:

@Grace - go ahead on run with 4/4 then! I like that too. It has more drive.

Chords are:
Measures 1: G
Measures 2: Em
Measures 3: G
Measures 4: D D7 (Thanks @JohnM!)

Measures 5: G
Measures 6: C C#dim
Measures 7: Dsus4 D7
Measures 8: C G might be nice. This is a nice 4 1 “Amen” sounding ending.

I played C D G on the latest rhythm track but I wasn’t crazy about it. I just tried it to see how @Grace felt about it.

I think a C to G would work better.

I think @Grace played G D G in earlier demos… and that could work also.

3 Likes

@WillCoop, I did not have a chance to look at your chords. I thought those were for Mandolin and I also thought you play the melody and end in those chords and therefore you might not require too many chords. For Guitar rhythm, to me it sounds like the chords goes in pairs. You land up in one chord and then you slightly modulate it afterwards by changing one note or so in the original or first chord of each pair. These are simple chords only in open position in Guitar. There must be some equivalent in mando too. But you may not want to complicate it too much in mando since you also play the melody.

3 Likes

Interesting insights…

Admittedly, I am not good at creating songs in Bluegrass… in fact, this is my FIRST!

THIS is why I wish we could do this on Zoom or something… 'cuz I gotta learn from y’all.

Oh… And don’t think I was being critical… because… I don’t know what I’m doing, John. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think I’m better than you! I play some songs and I used that as base and kind of created these chords. You can criticize me though in music. :wink:

4 Likes

Now that @Grace has some more input, I am interested to see what she might come up with now.

Wouldn’t it be cool if @BanjoBen could have a workshop to have this song developed further?

A songwriter’s workshop.

I also wish the Purple Hulls could perform this!

4 Likes

Yeah I like the both music versions - modern (different) and the hymn (traditional)! If Ben or his sisters pitch in, this would go to a new high level. Maybe they should!! :slight_smile: This can definitely be a candidate. The only thing I have is with the “death did die”.

Death is alive still and it is either you swallow death or death swallows you.

I Corinthians 15:24-26 and surrounding verses or whole chapter.
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

I don’t want to divert, but just thought of mentioning…

2 Likes

Speaking of Ben’s sisters… bumped into this video

3 Likes

@JohnM,

Three thoughts (although I wanted to avoid any theological debates here):

1. As believers, we believe in an after-life, yes? The soul is eternal. Most of Jesus’ ministry communicated this concept to His followers.

2. Physical death here, of course… but spiritual death for saved souls never die - because whoever believes in their hearts that “God raised him [Jesus] from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9) Saved from what? From death, through Jesus’ victory over it, as St. Paul tells us. This song celebrates that moment.

3. Most importantly, the song is from the standpoint of Jesus. To illustrate, I will focus on the final lines of the verses:

• Verse 1:

Jesus’ prophetic words of His conquering death (personally) and as you point out, the eventual conquering of death for us all in the last days.

• Verses 2/4:

Jesus met Death and Death did die! This is recognition that death could not defeat the Son of God.

• Verse 3:

As this verse is centered around the Rising (from death) of the King of Kings and the empty tomb, the message is clear once more that the song is talking about Jesus. Eternity was forever changed in that moment our risen Lord returned.

The message of the song is about the “showdown” between Jesus and Death. It is about THAT MOMENT. Death could not claim victory over Jesus… and in that Victory, as saved belivers in faith, we have new life from that moment.

This was my intent for the lyrics.

Your comments makes me second-guess having attempted to collaborate over the forum.

Perhaps, this would have been better served to be taken offline? In this case, it was just a ball that got rollin’ and frankly, it just developed through @Grace sharing the line, my first pass at lyrics around the line and @Michael_Mark’s contributions to smooth out the words (with your contribution, I might add, Sir :wink:)… a work in progress…

3 Likes

@JohnM, you also contributed as I added the King has risen into the song because of YOU - and I thank you:

:+1::facepunch:

4 Likes

The Purple Hulls are sooooo dang good @JohnM!

@Grace,

A couple of things…

I tried to write out the melody to help you understand how I tried to work in what I heard you sing on your demos.

As I mentioned, I like the stylings of your voice but to be honest… I didn’t really know how to write in every cool think you sang.

So… I just did the best I could to try to put a framework to it.

Sincerely, I would prefer you sing it as you feel it is supposed to be sung…

Because I am a big fan of the little breaks in your voice over my attempt to write the notes.

My preference is that you would get a general idea, learn the chords and just sing what comes natural.

:grinning:

Sorry @Michael_Mark, :pray:

I understand… :+1:

4 Likes

Ok, I tried adding the Dsus4 and D7. Not sure what I think of the tag I did… But I thought I’d try it. I struggled to transition quickly, so ignore those mess ups…:grimacing: also, just watched my previous video to compare, I think I also sped up the tempo…

5 Likes

@WillCoop, Yeah I’m guilty too. Revelation 2, 20, 21 chapters talk about second death. I’ll reply offline. Initially I was slightly carried away by the catchy phrase “death died” etc. Very soon I realized the phrasing could be misleading. I said it openly now because of the reach and impact when Ben would be pulled into this.

I agree this is work in progress, we will put a “mod” to this! Cheers! :+1:

3 Likes

Wow… I like it it alot @Grace! Whoo-hoo!

I think it is really good.

How is it feeling for you - back in 4/4 and all? Is it feeling more natural?

I think there is a little timing issue… But we can work that out.

Your singing is great… :wink::facepunch:

Thank you for giving this song a special voice!

Now, I wish I could collaborate with you… Or help in some way…but I am not sure what to do next to help you.

I wonder is I can create a TEF of it… Also as to put it into a file to help with the timing.

2 Likes

@grace,

If you go back and listen to the one you recoded with the melody line I played in 3… The part of the verses with “a Clarion Call” (Verse 1) and “Our Victory” (Verse 2), you sang up to the high G and down to an E - which sounded really nice. I think it would also work well in the 4/4 time.

In this later version, you sang back down to the same lower G (identical to the to the end of the first lines in each verse) - the G that started the song.

This also sounds nice too… but is slightly more repetitive.

Do you prefer to sign down at the end of the 3rd lines as you did on the first? Or, would you like trying to sing those lines going up to the Higher G and settling into the E?

By the way… Did your brother ever see the words?

2 Likes

WillCoop,
Awesome! Yes, I like the 4/4. Which do you like better?
Yeah, I think my biggest weakness is timing.
I’m not sure what the next step is either… I played till my hands hurt with that last video trying to get the timing down!

I do like to go down, but I did notice it was more repetitive like you said. I can try the other, and slow down, and fix the timing…

My brother only got a chance to glance at them and listen to one of my videos. He’s been pretty busy with online college and work. But I’m gonna keep bugging him about it.:smile: I think he could really help me with the timing, he’s real good with music. Just not a string guy, he loves his piano and singing.

2 Likes

Well, I like both versions… and the playing was really clean - evident of the work you put in. I heard the way you put in the Dsus4 and the D7… Oh… and the E-minor sounds great too.

The voice inflection you put on the word when you sing “Die”… THAT is what I like but cannot easily write in… :facepunch:

@Grace, I appreciate your efforts so much… but please don’t push too hard and hurt your hands playing too much, OK? We have time :+1:

For the timing… I can tell you the first two chord you start out perfect for the first 2 chords… but you are waiting 2 extra beats to come in on the “His message”. The same thing happens on the next lines. I think it is the “pick-up” notes that are throwing you off…

I really like the way you went up at the end! FANTASTIC!

I think I will try to work on matching your style and send another rhythm.

I will look into TEF too.

It is times like these I wish I played better and had a better way to record! :pensive:

2 Likes

Yes sir, :sweat_smile: Wasn’t too bad. I know a guy who played till his fingers bled, don’t worry , I won’t do that. I also had finished school and couldn’t think of much else to do, except I did draw a dog.:laughing:

Thank you! It’s nice to have some direction in the correction instead of just knowing it’s off!:grin:
Glad you like the ending, wasn’t sure about it, but wanted more of the emphasis we talked about.

Maybe I could record one of the melody and see if I can figure it out, then you could take it and fix the timing…:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@grace,

I will work with whatever you send! Also, I just realized my TabEdit was an older version so I updated.

I don’t know if the software in demo mode will let me write my own… but I will try…

@Grace, I am sure that you like Bluegrass music because you’re on the site. Logical, right? :banjo

That said, I am interested to know if you listen to other stuff too… Maybe Folk or Indie or even some Christian modern music? Do you sing at Church? Care to share some artists or singers you like?

I am asking because of the stylings of your voice.

3 Likes

Great job on the song! (In the OP)

Oh, um nope. I’m a semi accomplished tune writer, but I’m not good with lyrics. I’m working on getting better but I’m not good enough to be much help. If you want to hear an idea that you have played/sung I can do that, you’ll just have to tell me what you want

5 Likes

WillCoop,
Yep, I love bluegrass. :wink: I do often sing at our church. Other music… Here’s a few groups I like, some of these you might consider bluegrass, others maybe more on the gospel music side, I don’ care for CCM though.
Rochesters, The Bishops, Greater Vision, Hyles-Anderson College, New Found Road.

Here’s one of my favorite of the Rochesters.

Bishops

Hyles-Anderson
4 Likes