Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Earls Breakdown small guitar lick

Im quite a rookie at this but here goes!. In Earls Breakdown there is a small guitar lick, I think its only 2 notes long, where the guitar answers the banjo. I hope someone knows what I’m talking about. Anyway can anybody out there tell me what those 2 notes are? I would appreciate it.
Joe Markland

3 Likes

I am not a guitar player so I’d be guessing Joe if I said the 1 and the 5 but Lester is just keepin time on this one.

2 Likes

6-root. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yessir! I wouldn’t have even known what I was listening for if you hadn’t posted that. Since they are in the key of G, that’s an E (2nd fret D string) followed by a G (open G string)

4 Likes

So I wasn’t far out.

3 Likes

Check out this lesson @joeben

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/common-g-licks-guitar-intermediate

The lick you’re talking about is called the G run and Lester is the originator, many think. His little 2 note version is a basic rendition and they get more complicated from there.

8 Likes

Sooooo the next simplest version would be just to play the G note on the down beat :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You could, but for that song, having that E-G (or F-G to make it a little more bluesy) pattern is pretty important to the overall sound of the song. Just play the last two notes of a G run.

2 Likes

Precisely. I’ve actually scaled it way back and just glance at my guitar in its stand now and then.

10 Likes

Ha. I’ll be watching for that in your videos now.

4 Likes

WOW! Thanks everyone for your input. I got this now!! Keep on pickin.

2 Likes

big%20laugh

3 Likes