Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dunlop semi round pick

Anyone have one of these Dunlop Picks? I have never seen them before. They look similar to a Blue Chip.

They’re great picks!

1 Like

Do you prefer this shape or the triangle more for mandolin?

I go back and forth, myself. If I’m doing more tremolo I like the rounded better.

2 Likes

I used the triangle version of that pick myself for a long time. I loved it, and it is still the pick of choice for under 5 bucks.

Yep. Great pick! BTW, I like both, but have a slight preference for the textured versions.

1 Like

I got one with my brand new Eastman 315 Mando… along with others; however, this pick became my absolute fav.

Being a newbie, I’d say the pick is more capable than the player - in my case… but I really do like the rounded edge very much. Thanks to @Jake for that!

Get one and you won’t regret it!

2 Likes

So is this pick better than a BlueChip CT55?

Or what is a good Mando pic…

The Dunlop Primetones are very good picks (I have a few myself), but I don’t think there’s anything better than a Blue Chip, not even real turtle (IMO).

After having owned a few Blue Chips, it kinda took the fun out of trying new and different picks… Nothing else compares. Yes, they’re way overpriced, but you’ll easily burn up $35.00 worth of gas in a week, or two people can eat a meal for $35.00 and it’s gone in a few minutes.

At least you’ll have the Blue Chip forever… as long as you don’t lose it… or it gets stolen… or you loan it to somebody and they never return it…or it gets run over by a Trackhoe… or Dinosaurs return, force their way into your house, find your BC and eat it… or… OK, the Trackhoe thing might have been a little far fetched… sorry.

Try em both, I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

J.W.

4 Likes

ok… so whats the best BlueChip pick to go for for Mando…

We don’t have the option in the UK to try them out so need good advice on which would be the best choice

Thanks

I would special order one with different tips. Definitely get a triangle pick. They come in three sizes The TAD is the largest triangle (which I think is way too big), the TP is their standard size and then the STP is their small triangle pick. This is the one I use for guitar but for mandolin for some reason I like the TP size better.

So… my advice would be a TP-50 or 55 with one speed bevel, a straight (non bevel) and then a rounded corner. That way you have everything in one pick. (Three different tips). The numbers are the thickness. A 50 is approx 1.25mm and a 55 is about 1.4mm. A 60 would be 1.5mm and you can also get a 48 now which is 1.22mm. I would like to try a 48 for guitar. For mandolin, I would stay with at least a 50.

The CT-55 is good, I just don’t like the size and having only one point on all three corners. (You may want the large size). So I would special order a TP-55 with the three different corners I mentioned above. Since you’re special ordering, you can also do engraving on the back. I usually do a Bible verse, you can do whatever you want or no engraving at all.

I think you’ll be happy with a 55 for mandolin. If you’re going back and forth between guitar and mandolin, I’d go with a 50… 55 is a little dark for guitar, but 50 still sounds good with mandolin.

Keep in mind, this is what I’ve found works for me after trying 5 or 6 different Blue Chips. If you don’t like whatever you order, they sell almost instantly for about 30.00 on Mandolin Cafe or someone here on the Forum would be glad to buy it. That way you’re not out too much $.

Hope this helps… Let us know what you decide.

J.W.

1 Like

Hi @jw11

Thanks for the detailed answer it is most usefull and ive been looking at the TP-50, which is wierd but im not sure here in the UK you can get the custom made…

We can get them but i think they are as is…

Thanks

we can get TAD-50 1R here in the uk

https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/strings_and_picks/blue_chip/tad50-1r.htm

That’s a great pick, and I use the 40 in the same model…I do back and forth between that and the CT55.

1 Like

I’ve just got some of the Prime Tone Large 1.44 and they feel and play well but can’t compare to a Blue Chip as I don’t have one

Is it worth getting one over the primetone ?

Primetones are great, I think, but I like BCs better :wink:

1 Like

I’ve recently gotten some primetone 1.4s in the large triangle shape, and they’re awesome! I have never used a BC though…

2 Likes

Don’t sell a kid or anything important to buy a BC. Primetones are totally sufficient. You will are not going to be held back by a Primetone. I like them and use them regularly, especially with my “play out” guitars.

With that said, I do have (and enjoy) multiple BCs. I don’t miss the money I put into BCs, and when they leave my possession, I will replace them without a moment of hesitation.

3 Likes

Ok guys will continue my journey for now with the Primetone 1.4mm Large and put the BlueChip on my Xmas prezzie list… Lol

1 Like

@Mike_R hahah “don’t sell a kid” for a Bluechip :joy:

1 Like