Armed only with bad ideas, excessive confidence, a file, and some sandpaper, I dove headfirst into the dark waters of amateur lutherie, and somehow came out unscathed (although the same can’t be said for my banjo… jk lol)
So my old cheapie banjo was sitting unused, so I had taken the resonator off and tuned it to double C for clawhammer. Then yesterday, I decided it would be nicer to play if it had a thumb scoop. So after brief consultation with the professionals on BHO, I went for it. I decided to copy the nechville atlas style scoop, as it looked easy and also didn’t remove the upper frets (which I use occasionally).
It took about an hour with a file, but I am very happy with the results! It looks good, and feels great!
The photos are too big to post, so I’m gonna try and add them through my blog and link it here